bristlenose catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluefire

Aquarium Advice Regular
how long does it usually take for a bristlenose catfish to reach it's full size????????????

Hopefully a long time. Mine has grown about half an inch in 5 months, I would hate to think it is full grown at barely 3.5 inches :p

really! mine is growing realy fast
i have noticed it has grown about 0.5-1cm in the two weeks that i have had it

It really depends. Most "plecos" (such as the bristlenose Ancistrus species) can take a really long time to grow. I've had a Queen Arabesque (Hypancistrus sp. L-260) for 7 months and she has only grown about a centimeter. Other "plecos" (such as the common Hypostomus plecostomus) that grow larger may grow at a much more rapid pace, and put on an inch in a couple of months.

It also depends on diet. If you let them graze on your algae only, they'll grow more slowly. If you supplement their diet with veggies and occasional protein-rich morsels, they'll grow more quickly.

i think it must be the veggies and the fish food that has 46% protien that is making it grow really fast

That's probably right. Protein will do it. Ancistrus species like a moderately protein-rich diet. Roughly 22% is good for them, according to Larry Vires on Planetcatfish.com.

Species from the Hypancistrus genus, such as the Queen Arabesques I have *prefer* protein, as they're primarily carnivorous.

Hikari makes a great "sinking wafer" for bottom feeders like Cories and Loaches that prefer a little more meat in their diet. I feed these to my Hypancistrus and Zonancistrus species now to supplement their diet. I'm thinking I'll put a little chicken in the tank for a couple of hours sometime soon to see how they react to real meat! I know Vampire Plecs like meat. I'm a veggie, so this would really be a big step for me!

I really like my bristlenose he is pretty shy. I wouldn't mind treating him with some food but I think most of the other fish are more assertive at feeding. Hopefully he sneaks some of the algea tab at night.

I assume males and females grow at slightly different rates.. I didn't realize that the female bristlenose doesn't really have the bristles.. similar to how female swordtails don't have sword tails. I also didn't realize there were so many different types of Ancistrus. I have no clue what time I have. Mine has little white dots and the tips of his fins are reddish orange.

Bluefire what does yours look like?

Back
Top Bottom