Bristlenose Pleco - Ammonia Burn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dollzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just something I wanted to write about this - put out there & hear back what others thoughts are?!

Yesterday I did a 50% water change as I had left the tank three days longer than the usual weekly (30%) change as a new drop of platy fry had come the night before the WC was due.

During this water change I noticed my Pleco had quite a lot of non-fluffy looking white and lighter coloured patches all over this front half. Having done some research found this due to be ammonia burn - luckily I could identify the reason behind this and generally the tank is fairly stocked due to the number of fry.

I set up a quarantine tank and he just didn’t look very well, I kept him in the net, out of the water slightly and poured over him a medicine for ich I have previously for my betta. I then put him back into the main tank. Today I bought the correct treatment for him which I’ve started but he literally looks in full health! All colouring is back, there are no patches on him whatsoever and he is active and eating [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] The reason I put the ich medicine on him was in part panic as I couldn’t bare to lose him I wanted to add a slime coat onto him and found this method really worked?!?!

My daughter often helps with the feeding so due to that and the delay in change I’ve definitely taken note [emoji404] I’ll be doing 40% changes and vigilant with the feedings!

I’m just SO happy he is okay ❤️❤️?

Hi, nice save.

it would be interesting to have ammonia readings before / after use of water conditioner treatment of your tap water.

I’ve had large water changes cause fungal outbreaks (particularly if tap is colder and/or tank heaters are slow). Basically the slime coat gets attacked by fungus. It can look very dreadful and become cottony but responds well / quickly to meds.

Back
Top Bottom