Bristlenose Pleco Reviews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxg5299

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60 gallon w/ an angelfish, some gold barbs, some giant danios, and 2 clown loaches (will be replaced w/ angelicus botia). I have a large piece of Malaysian driftwood and I was told that bristlenose love that. I want an algae eater that has no compatability problems, doesn't get too large, and cleans algae well. Bristlenose are really cool, what's your experience with them?

They make more mess than they clean algae. That said, mine does as really good job cleaning algae. It's not a planted tank so there isn't a lot of algae but he keeps the rocks clean and I only rarely have to do the glass. And they're pretty cool :) I will warn you mine occasionally spats with my botias over "his" rock, but nobody gets hurt, it's a "peaceful" dispute.

The will take care of diatoms and fuzz on dw but they crap like there's no tommorow so...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Our BN still isn't full grown, but we've had him since he was about half an inch long. He's my favorite fish we have. I never saw any algae in the 10g he started in, but there was plenty in my 55g that the farlowella couldn't keep up with on the bogwood and rocks. After putting our BN in there, *POOF* no more algae of any kind. Never had any on the glass, but between him and our twig catfish, there's absolutely no algae in our tank. He's hilarious to watch too with his little bristles and puffy gills. He can be a bit territorial, but it's usually over an algae wafer or zucchini slice. He'll carry one to his little man cave every time I put some in, then he gaurds the dickins out of it! But he's never hurt any of his tank mates

Edit: He DOES poo a lot, but no more than our EBR or farlowella...yet!

I have a BN in a 55g community tank, tetras, rasboras, red cherry shrimp and Malayan Trumpet snails. I don't see a lot of him, he has a cave in the bogwood but he comes out to feed in the evenings. He's the most timid of all my fish even though he's 5" long. Even the shrimp take no notice.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452204722.451285.jpg
I know I've posted this pic before but it just makes me smile.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here's a pic of ours from a couple hours ago. Wish my daughter would quit touching the glass...but I rarely get good pics of him. He's rather timid, and seems to fear the camera.

Attachments

• 1452211234769.jpg
    1452211234769.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 102
There aren't many caves that would keep him completely hidden, but the driftwood takes up a majority of the tank. I wouldn't want him tucked away all the time, its a display tank in the main lobby of a school.

When i didnt keep mine hidden with lots of caves and hiding spots he would swim up into my filter. Scared the crap out of me. My BN pleco doesnt do that good of a job in my 55. I didnt get him or any of my fish for algae control though. I love that little guy. First fish i ever bought.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

I want an algae eater that has no compatability problems, doesn't get too large, and cleans algae well. Bristlenose are really cool, what's your experience with them?

If you want a pleco, a BN or maybe a clown would be your best bet probably. Most others will grow too large for a 60g. Have you considered other algae eaters? Plecos might be nicknamed “algae eaters” but there's many other better options. We chose our BN because he is exactly what we wanted, not because we wanted something to keep the tank clean. So it really just depends on what you actually want from your fish. :)

If you want a pleco, a BN or maybe a clown would be your best bet probably. Most others will grow too large for a 60g. Have you considered other algae eaters? Plecos might be nicknamed “algae eaters” but there's many other better options. We chose our BN because he is exactly what we wanted, not because we wanted something to keep the tank clean. So it really just depends on what you actually want from your fish. :)

Well, with angelicus botias in the stocking plan that rules out shrimp and nerites as algae eaters which leaves plecos and otos.

Well, with angelicus botias in the stocking plan that rules out shrimp and nerites as algae eaters which leaves plecos and otos.

Didn't think about that :X
But ottos are cute, small, and do a decent cleaning job! Plus, they're a bit more friendly so they're less likely to hide as much. It all depends on what OP is looking for

You can do SAE's

I have 3 and they put in more "algae work" than my clown and BN combined. They have really awesome personalities too

I know ottos are really small, how many would I need for a 60 gallon with my stocking? I really like how the bristlenose looks and I feel he'd get much more attention than a giant school of tiny things. My main concern is the shyness, I would like to see it out in the open as much as possible. If that's not typically a problem, I'll probably go with 1 BR. If they have a reputation of being really timid and never really cleaning, I'll go with ottos.

Getting bristlenoses for algae control will be a mistake IMO. Wood is a main part of their diet. You may luck out though. From what ive read on your thread people have good results with BN and algae control. Mine comes out in the evenings but hes generally shy and more than half the time hes on the driftwood. Hes not hard to find though due to him being albino. If youre really looking for algae control id go with otos. I had one otto keep a 26 gallon spotless. So id assume 4 would do it in a 60 gallon.

With otos less is more, since they usually will not eat algae wafers.
So if you have too many you'll have to supplement them with zucchini.

I'd do 1-2. Some people claim they are shoaling fish, but I personally disagree as they are hardly ever together, only of there is food!

Only 1-2? They only get about 2 inches. The algae is not a huge concern, I just have a really nice driftwood centerpiece that I think a small pleco would enjoy. As long as he's not noctural and hiding all the time, my preference would be something that stands out more, like the Bristlenose.

Only 1-2? They only get about 2 inches. The algae is not a huge concern, I just have a really nice driftwood centerpiece that I think a small pleco would enjoy. As long as he's not noctural and hiding all the time, my preference would be something that stands out more, like the Bristlenose.

That's one of the reasons we got our bn. It's a plus that he fits my 55g and happens to keep my tank free of algae (with a little help from our farlowella). We just think he's awesome.

* Ours is more active at night, but he's still seen constantly during the day by even my bouncy 7-year-old. He's gotten pretty used to the rowdiness of my house, but again we got him at only a 1/2".

I suggested 1-2, from an algae perspective, as they'll clean a tank fast!

They are out and about too, so you could get 5 or so of them, but you'd have to supplement they're diet.

Have you seen cocoa otos? They're pretty neat looking, but more rare and expensive....

A BN could work as well, but those are real poop machines, lol!

The tank is at a school, so that's good to know that they're not too shy. Something big and unique like the bristlenose will really be popular. Poop isn't much of a problem, nothing else in there really does much in that regard so it should be managable. How big should I buy? Will he be bullied by an angel or loach if I only find really small ones? Hopefully they grow fast.

My bristlenose got into scuffs with my yoyo loaches but almost never with the angelicus. Theyre fairly laid back. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom