Bristlenose pleco, tail fin damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long do bristlenose plecos take to repair damaged fins? I ask because when I bought the pleco, his tailfin was a bit damaged. I figured just like any other fish that hits clean water will repair fast, but so far he hasn't.

I have a firemouth and convict in there with it, but I'm 100% sure that they aren't nipping at him, because anytime the convict approaches him underneath the driftwood, the convict is promptly chased away. The firemouth however, he lets rest near him. The BNP is also near 3 inches, while the cichlids are barely 2 inches each.

My firemouth was nipped at by my convict the day I re-scaped because my convict got a bit stressed that day, but the firemouth recovered overnight, and was back to 100% in 2 days. Since the firemouth recovered fast, I was expecting the BNP to recover, but so far nothing. It's been about 2 weeks and he's yet to fully regrow his tailfin. I got him for a huge diatom outbreak that he cleaned in a few hours, and he's constantly munching on the driftwood.

Should I just give it more time because they take a little longer to repair? Or, should I try feeding him some NLS wafers, or vegetables like zucchini/cucumber?

I have two and they will much appreciate the wafers and veggies. You gotta give them a healthy and balanced diet to keep them in optimal health which would include fin repair.

What brand wafers? I currently have NLS pellets and love them for their quality, but not sure where to get the nls wafers, as they have algae and carnivorous types. I also discovered Omega One Veggie rounds which ingredients sound like theyre really good.

I do agree pure algae isn't the best of diets, so I think I will get some cucumber tomorrow. How do you prepare your veggies and what types do you use for them? It should be easy to feed him as he is always around the driftwood so I can just drop it near it.

Any brand of high quality algae wafers are good. They are algae eaters after all and they need green in their diet. Mine have a rock in the corner that has been growing algae for almost 2 yrs and they constantly graze on it. I feed mine wafers as well as pellets. Frozen brine and bloodworm if they get to it in time..lol. Blanch ur zucchini and cucumber if u want. I don't always and they don't really care. They are rasping on the driftwood and not really eating as much as u think. It just supplements their diet as well.

Back
Top Bottom