Bristlenose Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rlg said:
Two of the big boss man and one of the girly

They're lovely. Nice fish. I haven't seen my male all evening. I think he may have commandeered the nook under a piece of slate where my clown loaches usually go, as they are hanging around outside it looking a little displaced :)

Sucker is albino and she hides some times. But she is out a lot. I got her some of the wafers, but everyone else seems to like them better. And she loves cucumbers, too.

tiguardo said:
They're lovely. Nice fish. I haven't seen my male all evening. I think he may have commandeered the nook under a piece of slate where my clown loaches usually go, as they are hanging around outside it looking a little displaced :)

They get more beautiful every day. I've had them since they were tiny babies and they didn't really have any markings or colourings on them, they were just a boring brown colour, but as they are growing there is some beautiful markings coming out on them.

Oh yes, they know where they can go to keep out of sight and out if the way of being disturbed by the other fish when they want to don't they lol. I call my male the big boss man because none of my other fish would dare question him if he decided he wanted to chill out in their usual spot. He's not nasty and I've never seen him fight, they just all seem to know that he is in charge. :)

Mine did somthing weird last night! The corners of his lips flared out (looked extra spikey) and when back in, he did it a few times, is this normal? Never seen it until I started feeding frozen foods on the weekend

Ancistrus have spines along the sides of their heads, mainly used for defense. Not unusual for them to stand up/out when they're netted, can be a problem with snagging in the mesh though. Best to use a fine-mesh net for any catfish.

Lol. For the first time I can see all three Bristlenose at once! I knew I put three in, but it's like playing hide & seek! Saying that my Albino is easy to spot (which thinking about it must be a nuisance in the wild!)

My boy. Seems to suddenly become active tonight :)

Attachments

• image-2068850984.jpg
    image-2068850984.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 82
hippy guy said:
Mine did somthing weird last night! The corners of his lips flared out (looked extra spikey) and when back in, he did it a few times, is this normal? Never seen it until I started feeding frozen foods on the weekend

My male does that sometimes too. It's usually when they feel threatened or get stressed out by something.

rlg said:
My male does that sometimes too. It's usually when they feel threatened or get stressed out by something.

That's odd. My female has just done it I think. Like puffing her cheeks out on the sides of her mouth so it looked like grey stars. She did it 3 times, then hasn't done it again. Don't think I was seeing things :)

Back
Top Bottom