Bristlenose plecos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been offered two free bristle nose plecos ! Ahhh I'm so happy. She has like a breeding colony of about 7 and she's had two cliches of eggs around 150-200 each. She's found eight free swimmers and the rest are still waiting. Ting I wanted to know is will they do okay in my aquarium? It's a 30g and has real driftwood and plants. Any knowledge on these fish would be helpful. Thanks!

I have two of there in my tank 125 litre or 33 us gal. They will grow to about 5 or six inch depending on genus. They will love a planted tank and will love bog wood as it helps keep there teeth sharp. Good algae bottom feeders and they are partial to cucumber. Hope this little info I have helps.

Samzter said:
I've been offered two free bristle nose plecos ! Ahhh I'm so happy. She has like a breeding colony of about 7 and she's had two cliches of eggs around 150-200 each. She's found eight free swimmers and the rest are still waiting. Ting I wanted to know is will they do okay in my aquarium? It's a 30g and has real driftwood and plants. Any knowledge on these fish would be helpful. Thanks!

They should be fine but if your tank is all ready close to fully stocked good filtration will be needed once they reach adult size.

Free is always good. But IMO, I would house only 1 bnp in a 30 gallon. I had one in my 29 and he was all over. 2 might be a bit much.

I think 2 could work but no more than that. I hope you get a male I think they look cooler.

Bristlenose Pleco's need driftwood to rasp on as it aids in their digestion. I too think one is enough in a 30 gallon. I only keep on in my 220g as he is quite active day and night.(
Supplimental feeding a couple times a good right after lights are turned off for the night ensures they are getting enough to eat (they really need more than algae). Some good food items include sinking algae tablets, softened shelled peas, cucumber, and slightly softened zucchini.

Thanks for all your comments! I think I'm going to get two, grow them out and sell one on. They are only a cm right now so I'll grow them out .

I forgot to mention it would be a male and female. Wouldn't they end up breeding though? And if they did would the babies be weakened and have deformanities.

Back
Top Bottom