Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Bristlenose Plecos

As many of you know, I have a fondness for pleco's, epecially those of the ancistrus (sp) aka bristlenose variety. Several months ago, I was able to snatch up a bag full of bristlenose fry...3 albino and 6 browns. Due to them being rather small (they are dwarf) and being in a heavily planted tank, I rarely got to see them all at once. I started taking pics whenever I could and I discovered something very interesting. Keep in mind, they all are from the same parents...

#1 - Bright gold spots on light brown body:

#2- Light gold spots on dark brown body:

#3 - White spots on brown body (he's in the plants):

There are a couple of them that are true runts (for lack of a better term) that have not grown as large as their siblings (#3 is an example). I will speak with the breeder to find out the coloration of the parents.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great pics, and they're still good looking fish Bill. With so many offspring and the laws of genetics, the possibilities for color morphs are endless. My zebra lace angel fry are still snow white after 3 months. As for ancistrus runts, I'm starting to think that high protein is essential for max growth. These fish aren't 100% herbivores.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
They look great Bill! I love seeing pics other's fish and fry!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNY
I'm starting to think that high protein is essential for max growth. These fish aren't 100% herbivores.
Funny you mentioned this. I have always introduced veggies to the tank, especially since my Sailfin enjoys any type of squash. These guys have not been keen to munching on it at all. They have also disregarded any leafy veggies as well. To be truthful, I thought I had lost a few of them as a result until they started showing up (the runts) recently. One of them can actually be under a plant leaf and not be seen.

So, for the most part, they have been subsisting on the sinking algae wafers or the sinking shrimp pellets or whatever else is laying on the bottom that their other tankmates missed. They are also competing for food with the Sailfin, three cories and a tremendous amount of ramshorn snails. The fact that they are still thriving at this point (they were introduced last October) is a complete mystery to me...I have lost others who had less competition.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great pics Bill! I love those plecos.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! If I didn't know where you got those fry and that they are all sibs, I'd swear that you had a gold nugget pleco! Very interesting color morphs you have there.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

The bristlenose look great! I've been looking into an additional algae eater too as my 1-SAE, 1-Flying fox, 2-Otos, 2-Amanos are still leaving algae on my plants and I magnet clean once a week.

How large do these Bristlenose get and how good of algae cleanup are they doing?
Old 03-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really love the golden colored one in the first pic. Beautiful!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake2player
How large do these Bristlenose get and how good of algae cleanup are they doing?
They seldom go over 5" and in regard to algae, take a good look at the rocks in the first pic...clean as a whistle or about to be. Hardest working algae hunters that I have.

Tags
bristlenose, pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com