Bristlenose Plecos.. a mated pair turns out to be two boys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm pretty sure my plecs are both male... can they be happy together or should I really swap one out for a female?

I dont really care if they breed or not.. Just want to give them a chance at a nice life.

I would consider adding a female but I also have a clown plec and in a 20 inch cube, they might be crowded

btw.. is my clown okay on his own?

none of my plecos hang out together--even the ones that are the same species. i really don't think they're communal fish--like cories. i'm sure your guys should be just fine--they'll probably find different areas of your tank to set up house--and chase each other away if one encroaches on the other's territory. but no violence, i'm pretty sure. my plecos are constantly jockeying for territory and dominance, but no one gets hurt, and everyone eats, and everyone is happy (i think :)).

my gold angelicus was ousted from his lovely driftwood by a mean old queen arabesque, who was just ousted by my gold stripe pleco--who i'm very happy to see again after all these months! and so it goes...

Alas I was hoping for a pair, but Peter must have not been very impressed by the second boy's bristles :)

oh well.

you do realize that female BN plecos CAN grow bristles as well ... Though not as prominant, it has been known to happen

I'm not a good 'sexer' of plecos, so the plecos I have are not paired up. Your clown pleco will be find on its own and all of your plecos will lead a wonderful life as long as proper and varied foods are given and PWC are done :D

I'ld consider adding the clown plec (panaque Maccus) to a glass tank, or make sure you have some wood for him/her to chew. I might have said this already, but hey, it's worth repeating since LFS don't seem to tell people that panaques (Royal Pleco's, Clown Pleco's etc.) are wood EATERS, They have to have wood in their tank for food. (and they do turn up a fair amount of sawdust as they get older, so make sure it's a very hard wood), if they get on the acrylic, they will scar it really bad. (they have rasps)

I can tell you mine is a boy, Sailfins tend to have outies and innies... not sure if BN are the same.

That's a lot of plecs in one tank. your plants will be happy :)

yup.. the day I bought the clown I got on here and learned about wood.. I now have plants and caves made out of wood.. enough to keep the plecs happy :)

Back
Top Bottom