Bristlenose Plecos and all that algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dehinrichs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I need some help here. I've got two bristlenose plecos in my 90 gal tank. They've been there for 4 or 5 months, and I've yet seen them do anything much in the algae eating category.
I thought these guys would gobble up that algae, but all they seem to do is hide in rocks during the day, and just suck onto the glass and not move around during the night.
Any ideas here? My algae is starting to get a good foothold (it's a planted tank), and I'd like these plecos to 'earn their keep'.

Thanks!

its a common misconception that plecos eat algae, in the amazon, they actually live in pretty deep waters, where there is no algae. they usually live on scaps they find.

ive yet to find a fish that loves algae, (perhaps otos?)

there are some plecos where actually prefer meatier foods, bristles may be one of them

snails will eat algae they come across, but wont go out of their way to eat it, the best way to get rid of it, would be manually

In my exp nothing beats a common pleco for keeping you glass and deco clean. But commons get real big real fast. My ottos once I finally got a few that lived eat non stop I love these little guys. But they pretty much only take care of my plants. I also have 2 black mollies That feast on hair and thread algae. Those 3 are the best algae eaters I have ever kept.

Back
Top Bottom