Bristlenose vs Clown Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a brand new 4ft tank and am looking at getting 1 or 2 small pleco types, mostly for algae control, but also because they're gorgeous. I am also getting a few yoyo loaches, and probably a couple of schools of smaller fish.

Of the species that don't grow above 5 or 6", I've only seen the bristlenose and the clown pleco. Can someone tell me the differences in care and behaviour between the two? Why would I get one over the other, or are they similar enough that it comes down to preference?

Bristlenose plecos are fantastic algae eaters. Clown pleco are not, the knaw on driftwood. Infact, driftwood is pretty much a must if you're going to keep clowns. Clowns are also more shy. Don't expect to see them very often unless they are very comfortable. I have 3 clowns in my 46G tank. Ever since I switched to a dark substrate, I've seen mine more than ever.

i do have a dark brown substrate, so that shouldn't be a problem, though i would like them to graze on my algae.

i don't think i can get gold nuggets here - anyone in sydney seen them?

i may go with two different coloured bns, i'd love to get an albino but have only ever seen albino common plecos. i know i can get peppermint bns, and they are gorgeous.

any other easy-to-find smallish plecos?

pleco

Bristlenose also require driftwood to chew on. Both clowns and BNs are wood raspers, which of course means they generate quite a bit of poo. I can't compare their respective algae cleaning abilities, my tank doesn't have much yet. lol But BNs are reputed to be excellent, clowns likely less so. Maxwell1295 is right on as to the clowns shyness. The Bns are out and about quite a bit during the day, gnawing on the driftwood, rearranging the sand to make new little hideouts, etc. The clown is starting to come out more during lights on, but he will scoot out of sight if he sees you.

Both are very cute and not too tough to care for. Just whichever calls to you, and you can find! Good luck!!!!

I have a female BN, she's about 4-5 inches and also a smaller clown pleco at about 3-4 inches.
The BN is out and about more than the clown but as BN's mature they become more nocturnal although this can change if a slice of veg is put in the tank. :lol:

I do see my BN far more than my clown but this isn't exactly a bad thing because when i see my clown it's more of a surprise and i take it less for granted when i do see it.

The BN will keep the algae under control, especially when it's older. I have a spotless tank and i've never seen any algae in it.
My brother's tank has quite a bit of algae so as a 'test' to see how quickly my BN would eat some algae we put one of his small, fist size rocks into my tank. The rock was about half covered in algae and the BN actually came out within 10 minutes and was rasping on the algae. (this was day-time with the light on) When i turned the light back on in the morning there she was munching away. By mid-day the rock was clean.

My 20 gal seems like a walk in the park for my BN as she is totally in control of any algae.
I may have to move her into my 20gal long and get some ottos.

I personally see clowns as the more attractive fish but BN's as the more useful.

thanks a lot guys. i have decide to go with the bn, and will see if i can get 2 different colours.

I think youll be happy. I love watching his 'whiskers' or whatever you want to call them grow. When I got him, they where almost non existant, now they are getting some size on them :) Very active pleco too, I see him allt he time during the day.

Back
Top Bottom