Brita filtered water: Ph 7, softens water, remove bad stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I use filtered water (ion exchange filter) in partial water changes for my aquarium?

My filter is a Brita activated Carbon and Ion exchange filter.

It removes
Removes
99.99% Cysts - Cryptosporidium and Giardia
99% Chlorine
99% Lead
99.9% Sediment
99.7% Asbestos
99% Lindane (a pesticide)
92% Atrazine (a herbicide)
99.8% Trichlorethylene (a solvent)
99.7% Turbidity
97% Hydrogen Sulfide (odour)

It also removes copper, calcium, and magnesium but it doesn't take out dissolved minerals which are good for human health.

The tap water in my area ia very alkaline ph 8 at least. However, once t he water is filtered, it turns out the perfect 7! That is what appeals to me so, is it safe to use?

I've been pondering a way to use a three filter exchange system without replumbing under the sink and i believe i will put a 30gal rubbermaid on wheels with a clear plastic hose to the unit , use a five gal pail for runnoff and a power head in the 30 gal to pump into the tank. people i know love the idea

i dont get the brita part. Is it a brita on the tap filter or what? That alone changes the ph of the water? Does it stay the same once in the aquarium? How about if you left it for 24 hours then re-tested, same ph? I'm wondering 'cause that sounds like an ideal way to lower ph in ones water.... Please read your post again

It is a square plastic container, with two holes. One at the top where you pour the filter in. Once you pour the tap water in, it goes through the filter and sits in the container. Then you press the dispenser down (2nd hole) and the water comes out.

However, we will be getting the Brita on tap system in the future, so that it can be used with a python, and is suited to the python because it removes chlorine before it goes in the tube.

my tap water is very hard. Aside from making ph perfect, the briiita filter makes it soft.

I tried the brita for first time on my tank yesterday. However, as it only 99% of chlorine, i added only half dosage of tri start water conditioner/ager/chlorine remover/chloramin remover. The filtered water made my tank to become 7.2 yesterday (as 75% os my tank water is still tap water) and today it is still 7.2. The fish seem fine, and the water looks a bit clearer.

Well I love this brita and it makes the water ph perfect! It is good for all aquariusts but especially useful those who have very alkaline tap water, hard water, or need slightly acidic water. It is useful for people using pythons. It removes all the bad things in t he water so my fish will be happy and healthy.

Interesting idea. I might have to try this in the future as my ph for some reason in my one 29 gallon tank seems to be hovering around 7.8 and i'd like to bring that down a bit. Next pwc I do i'll have to post my results a few days after I try it. Definitely worth a shot.
-Stewie

It will soften your wtaer ;) too. And anyway it is worth the purchase for your own purposes too, wouldn't you rather be drinking clean clean water?

Back
Top Bottom