Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #1

Broccoli, just the stalks?

I have read the article on feeding veggies to your fish, and all of mine love the zucchini and cucumber, but i wanted to try broccoli. So i put in just a piece of the stalk, partially cooked, but i was wondering, do you guys just put in the stalk? or do you put in the crowns (flowering part) too?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I only put the stalks in. You could try frozen green beens and peas too. My pleco loves them.

With the peas, you soak them in warm water, take the skin off and then plop them in. All my bottom dwellers and even livebearers fight over them.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #3

i know how to do the peas, but i don't eat peas so i never buy them.. lol. I make fresh veggies every night for dinner and i usually put in the veggie clip a bit of whatever i make. like tonight its broccoli and yellow squash. I of course always have a cucumber and zucchini that i use just for my fishies too if i don't feel like cooking
Old 06-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #4

Also just wanted to add, this is the first time i put yellow squash in, and boy do they love it! My pleco has been at it for 20 minutes now and they angels are even picking at it. But they haven't touched the broccoli yet...lol.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used to give broccoli but it seems like lately it just sits there. I don't put the crowns in. I am afraid of someone choking on one of the little bud things. Do you slice the stem down the middle? My pleco seems to like the inside more.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #6

well i took out the yellow squash (he ate a hole right through the middle!) i figure ill leave the broccoli in overnight and see what happens.. i peeled off the tough outside so he can get to the inside. ill see what it looks like in the morning.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ashley- You can get a bag of frozen peas from the grocery store and use them as you need them. We don't eat peas either so we've been using the same bag of frozen peas for about 4 months. The fish don't mind it.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:11 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Fishyfanatic - I do the same thing with peas! I recently got a new bag of frozen peas because the peas had frozen together in such a lump that I couldn't separate off individual peas anymore!

AshleyNicole - I have a picture in my gallery of my pleco eating broccoli. He's eating from the cut end, so maybe it's a good idea to use a carrot peeler to get some of the tough outside off. It's fine to leave it in overnight too. It could soften a bit that way. I boiled the piece of broccoli for about a minute, or until a clean, straight paper clip went through it easily. I used the paper clip to make a hole in the broccoli, and then I threaded fishing line through and sank it for the pleco.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

An t-iasg- Our bag is frozen solid. I have to literally chip away at the peas. One day I left them out by accident and then I just tossed the thawed peas in the freezer. Big mistake.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com