Broken center bracing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few large 30-55 gallon tanks with broken center braces. How do I replace these? Or will they hold?

I saw where somebody cut theirs off alittle off from the base (maybe 2-3 inches) and then attached a piece of clear acrylic to both ends. I would NOT use the tanks without the center brace!

Depending on the manufacturer you can buy replacement trim kits, that's what they call them. You have to remove the entire trim and install a new one.

When a brace got broken on one of our tanks I did alot of research (that's how I found out about ordering trim kits) and I ran into alot of ways of repairing acrylic tank braces. Google it online and see how many ways you can find and then pick the best method that works for you.

I just rigged my 55 with an aluminum brace I saw in a DIY video.... It cracked less then a week later. My in law did tap the tank a bit hard in accident once so that may have been what caused it but to honest I would just buy the proper trim if I had to do it again. Now I have to buy a whole new tank.

Mine broke on my used tank last week. I took floor metal trim guards that goes in doorways. I measured the width of the tank and allowed extra for 3" on each side of the strip, then cut it and bent 3" on each end and snapped it on for the center support. It holds fine and the lids even fit on well. It worked well for mine and don't look bad. good luck

Ive have my 36g bow front tank for a couple of montHs with the center bracing broken as well i thought nothing of it sence i hade no lid for it and filled the tank up when i saw that the center bracing expanded about an inch or half an inch "not that far appart enough for the fish net pole to slide threw" and its been holding still doing fine ,so i dont think its nessasary unless you wana fix it some how..?

image-3524039245.jpg

Hi Aaronp, could you tell me what the green plant is in the middle or your tank? It's very pretty. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom