Brother wants Betta sorority- Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My little brother wants a Betta sorority in his 10 gal tank. It has very dense plantings and I could add some cave decor and more plants if needed. It uses an internal filter and we have it uncycled but my tank can provide media. What would the advisability on this be? Is it even attempt able? He read about them online on the aquarium wiki thing. He wants 3-5 Bettas, and I can always take care of a few in my tank if we need to separate, return a few, and try new ones.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I have read good and bad things about this. They could get along, they may not. If they don't, they would need separate homes.

I agree with PNWAquarist, 20g should be used for this, and lots of plants and hiding spots :)

He can't get a 20 gal and this is the only thing he wants. I can divide the tank if necessary later on. Would trying with the most peaceful Bettas we can find be major? I want him to realize that if it doesn't work, he needs a new choice

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I could try for a twenty but not sure if we could convince the parents

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Here's the tank currently-

Needs a top off

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

You really are taking a risk with multiple betas in the same tank. It may work, and it may not. And if it doesn't, it's not like you can re-house a couple of bettas in your community tank.

What I would do is make a driftwood cave in the bottom of the tank and go with a single betta and four or five pygmy corys. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom