Brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've got my tank cycling. It's at the point where 3-4ppm ammonia drops to 0 in less than 12 hours and I'm waiting for my nitrites to start dropping. What I'm starting to see is what I think is a brown algae starting to grow rather rapidly on everything. Should I just keep the lights off for a few days? I really really want to clean my tank and do a water change but I know that isn't gonna help the cycle.

brownalgae.jpg

This is very common in new setups. The only way it will go away is to do your regular water changes and scrub it off when you do. As the tank matures you will see less and less of it. Turning the lights off wont get rid of the problem. The only thing that will is the tank maturing. When you do a water change, take the rocks out and scrub them off and wipe down the glass too. As time goes on, you will see less of it.

I know you wanted a better answer than that, but its all you can do.

Good luck! I battle it every time I start up a new tank.

So for now all I can do is let it go until the cycle finishes then wash the surfaces that it's on when it's done?

I forgot to tell you... you can clean your tank. Just make sure to only use tank water when cleaning the filter media (sponges) because tap water will kill off the bacteria and restart your cycle. Most of the bacteria we want in our tanks is in the substrate, some rocks (not as much on smooth rocks) and filter media. There is actually very little in the water itself, because it needs to grow on something. So, taking out the plants and rock to scrub the algae off wont harm your cycle any. Take out only what you want to scrub and leave the rest alone. Just leave the filter alone and just vacuum the substrate, not dry it out or rinse it. :)

I was obsessed with keeping that brown crap out of mine when I first started up a tank a few years ago. I had not read about cycles and all that so didn't know about ammonia and nitrates, etc. After learning, I bet I actually saved my fish because I was so obsessed that I did a small water change twice a week, so it was taking the ammonia buildup out! Lucky me huh?

Dizzycat is right. About a year ago when i set up my 20g tall it was EVERYWHERE. Just keeping cleaning it and doing water changes like your suppost too and it will eventually go away. Its all gone in mine now. Besides if it still there after the cycle and you want it gone that bad then get a pleco. NOT A COMMON PLECO OR WATERMELON PLECO. they get HUMOUNGOS.

A couple of oto cats should take care of the algae. I'm working on making my 29 a planted tank and that brown algae started popping up all over when I upgraded my lights. I put a couple of otos in and they've done an impressive amount of work in a few days. Otos work better than any plecostomus and are a lot less of a load on the tank. If you do get a pleco, get a dwarf or rubberlip variety. Those stay around 4".

A couple of oto cats should take care of the algae. I'm working on making my 29 a planted tank and that brown algae started popping up all over when I upgraded my lights. I put a couple of otos in and they've done an impressive amount of work in a few days. Otos work better than any plecostomus and are a lot less of a load on the tank. If you do get a pleco, get a dwarf or rubberlip variety. Those stay around 4".
Ottos should only be added to a mature tank so that is out in this case.

Actually the issue with ottos is there stomachs are not big enough to compensate for the large amount of brown algae. So usually they do not do well at cleaning out all the algae.

Razorback, i have actually found that they do just fine in new tanks dew to the large algae growth in the tank and even if there is none they do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom