brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drcamp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am having a problem with brown algae. I have tried water change 10 gal. (29 gal. tank) Washed rocks, main center piece, also vac. the substrats. It look good for about 9 to 10 days now the whole tank looks real bad! HELP

Sounds like diatoms, with is also known as "new tank syndrome." How long has the tank been set up? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

dkpate said:
Sounds like diatoms, with is also known as "new tank syndrome." How long has the tank been set up? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

I was just going to say that!!

:fish2:

I am having a problem with brown algae. I have tried water change 10 gal. (29 gal. tank) Washed rocks, main center piece, also vac. the substrats. It look good for about 9 to 10 days now the whole tank looks real bad! HELP

Not much can be done, just wait for it to burn itself out. As for new tank syndrome, I'd say not. My tanks is 3 years old and I'm dealing with BA because I went from 17w of light to 55w with a new fixture in my 37g tall. Here's a link that has some good info.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

It's CALLED new tank syndrome, that's just what people call it, since it usually only happens in new tanks with new things.

Back
Top Bottom