brown algae / bad smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geek_levin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm about 1.5 months into a 7 gal mini bow that I set up in the kitchen. I have 2 snails, an otocinclus catfish, a platy, and now 13 fry. I had set up the tank with the oto to get the process started and then bought the platy from the lfs. Much to our surprise, 3 days later we had 13 fry swimming around. Turns out that we lucked out and got 14 fish for the price of one. I'm not sure if it's because of the fry or just the process in the tank, but it smells really bad and there's a beige haze / cotton candy kind of covering on a lot of the fixtures in the tank. I check the levels with the 5 in 1 test strips and everything reads 'safe'. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One fish's safe is anothers fatal amount... can you post the actual readings please?
..though algaes are normally signs of a tank gone awry.
And an algae an oto won't eat is worrisome..they normally can keep a small tank like that sparkling clean as far as dusting and cleaning goes....
hopefuly it isn'y cyno.

bad smell...
rotten egg?
fishy?
decomposing grass?
fresh mown lawn?
the smell can pointto some probs too.

Back
Top Bottom