Brown Algae Everywhere! Pleco or Cory cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnailorJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been wanting to get some type of sucker fish since I started my tank, but I was going to wait until I actually had some algae growing in my tank. I have brown (almost redish) algae on the part of my filter where the water falls back into the tank, all over the filter media, and it's growing all over my plants. I also noticed it starting to grow all over the glass today. Is this bad algae or is this normal? Would getting a pleco or a cory cat be a good or bad idea? Do they add much to the bio load of a tank?

It depends on the size of your tank. Also Cory's don't really eat the algae off things. If your tank is smaller than 40 gallons I would suggest Nerite snails. They eat everything including algae and will not reproduce easily in freshwater. Pleco's aren't worth their bio load.

I think you need to get to the bottom if why your algae is growing so quickly. What type if lighting do you have and how long do you leave the lights on for?

I would start to reduce lights on time and the algae should fall back. What are your nitrates at? If you have an abundance if nitrates in a heavily planted tank then it's going to encourage algae growth (in addition to heavy lighting) if you have no plants then there is no competition for nitrates/phosphates and so algae will take over.

Rivercarts is particularly good with this sort of thing. Maybe she can help.

If its a newish tank and its brown dust like algae, then its diatoms. They are perfectly normal and will eventually burn themselves out. As mentioned, cories don't eat algae. What algae eaters depends what size thank.

My tank is a 10 gal, so I guess snails would be a good option. I think the problem is my lighting. I had changed my timer to be on for a longer amount of time than usual for a few days, and then forgot to change it back. My tank is 6 weeks old, and my nitrates are usually 10. It sounds like diatoms based on what mumma said. My tank is also planted and I add in liquid CO2 and plant food, so maybe I have too many nutrients from the food.

Last edited:
My tank is a 10 gal, so I guess snails would be a good option. I think the problem is my lighting. I had changed my timer to be on for a longer amount of time than usual for a few days, and then forgot to change it back. My tank is 6 weeks old, and my nitrates are usually 10. It sounds like diatoms based on what mumma said. My tank is also planted and I add in liquid CO2 and plant food, so maybe I have too many nutrients from the food.

IMO...Oto's are an option, they love diatoms....

Otos would be cool! My tank is pretty much max stocked though, so idk if I could do that. Do they add a big bio load and do they need to be in a group? And they wouldn't get too big for a 10 gal?

With it being a new tank and without a picture my guess also would be diatoms. Diatoms are self limiting and will die out once all the excess silicates in the water are used up. Only running lighting 6 hours daily will help keep the amount of diatoms down but you will still get some. Nerite snails are the best option in a new tank. Also if you stop using the ferts low nutrient levels actually favor algae and allow it to outcompete plants. Liquid carbon has algaecide properties and helps keep it down so again don't stop using it.

Okay, thanks all!

How many snails would be appropriate for a 10 gallon? Should I invest in some MTS too or stick with nerites?

I would do at least 3 nerites. I like MT Snails but many don't because if you feed with a heavy hand the MTS can multiply quite quickly. The thing is they live in the substrate during the light hours aerating and scavenging in the substrate and they come out late in the evening and many not until after lights are out.

Okay, I called my LFS and they said they have several types of nerites, including zebras! I'm excited! They also have MTS but she said they don't recommend them because of how fast the breed...I kind of want something that will stir up and clean my substrate though. Can they burrow through pebbles? Only about 1/3 of my tank is sand right now. I'm planning on changing over more though.

Yes they can get around in pebbles and in the spaces around them. I have them in all my tanks and honestly in a couple tanks that I feed very sparingly the MTS barely breed at all. It all depends on the amount of food available to them which determines how fast they will breed. And since I only usually see them at night I don't mind them at all.

So they don't actually cause problems if they breed besides being unsightly? I don't think I would mind that...I like having activity in my aquarium. Maybe I could just get like 2 or 3 of them and it wouldn't become a problem.

So they don't actually cause problems if they breed besides being unsightly? I don't think I would mind that...I like having activity in my aquarium. Maybe I could just get like 2 or 3 of them and it wouldn't become a problem.

They don't cause problems. 2 or 3 would be plenty and you'll know if your overfeeding your tank if you have a population explosion. I believe 1 MTS can release up to 70 live babies (no eggs) every month.

In the 220 I like to watch when the lights go off and the moonlights come on because suddenly all the snails just emerge in mass from the substrate. Then by the next morning they are all gone again.

That sounds pretty cool :D 70 babies is insane though! I'm sure my tank can't support that many but I don't want to end up with dead snail babies everywhere either.

It sounds horrendous but really isn't. Remember they will also self regulate so if too many babies are born and the tank can't support them reproduction will slow down or stop. When born they are the size of a pin head so it's not a big deal. They can also be a good indicator of something being wrong in the water (nerites do this as well) as they will start heading up the glass to get out of the tank. Nerites are famous for walking if not happy with water parameters. I found one across the sunroom once after I did a huge rescape and stirred up all kinds of dirt (my 220 is dirted) and detris. That nerite obviously didn't like the water quality after doing that and took off. Thank goodness they can last over a day out of water so I just popped it back in.

Wow that's crazy! Good to know. I lost an African Dwarf Frog that way once :( Well I'll head to my LFS this afternoon and get a couple of each type of snail. Thanks so much for your input!

Diatoms are quite happy in lower light conditions, which is why in natural conditions they are the first to algae to appear in the spring and then have another flurry in late summer/early autumn when photoperiod is once again reduce.

They are associated with levels of phosphorous and nitrogen much higher than those required for good plant growth (plus the silica available in tap water and possibly sand/gravel), so may still persist even in a planted tank. Check your water for phosphates - high phosphate, coupled with the nitrate developing via your biofilter will be the most likely cause. Perversely, raising light levels / period of light should help you.

Diatoms also form part of the periphyton - the slimy covering that grows on the surface of your plant leaves. This 'soup' of high protein algae, bacteria and other nutritious organisms is what your snails or ottos love. Dwarf Ottos ( Ottociniclus affinis) will clean your plants without damaging them and 3 or 4 should be fine in a small tank like yours. Just keep on top of your water quality maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom