brown algae in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kostasonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am still cycling my new tank of 110L and I have already added some dwarv anubias (anubias enanas). The problem is that some (seems) brwown algae have invaded them. Do you think I can remove them, clean them and introduce them again?
What else could I do? I wouldn´t like to leave it without doing anything...

:?

DSoes it come off like a powder. If it does it is diatoms. Normal in a new tank. It will go away on its own. You can just wipe it off.

Also just to add:

Diatoms are not algae per se, and need no light to multiply, so things like blackouts do not help. They feed off silicates in the water, which is normally why they are found on silicate surfaces (such as the walls of your tank).

While ugly, you can just easily rub with your finger and they will "dust" off of any surface. I would recommend cleaning everything at once in the tank, then doing a large PWC to get rid of it, otherwise your tank will stay cloudy for a bit.

I have a diatom filter, but one of the best uses is to stir all of these diatoms up in the water and then getting rid of them by filtering, but that's another topic entirely.

Yeah..its on the leaves of the anubia and it looks like as if the leaves had become brown. But if you go closer you realise that its a powder. If it was on a metal someone could think it is oxidized.

Also there is some kind of tiny "hair" around there. As if there was a spider..

So, no reaction appart from cleaning it when doing the next PWC???

Stick a hand in there wipe a leaf with your fingers.If its diatoms that will be all it takes to remove it....other algaes "settle in" better and are more difficult to remove.

If thats all it is,wipe it all off at the next water change so at least some will leave with the old water.

kostasonia said:
So, no reaction appart from cleaning it when doing the next PWC???

Nope. You just have to let it run its course. Or pick up some Oto's, they LOVE the stuff.

EDIT: That is, when the cycle is finished. :)

diatoms are very common in a cycling tank. They will clear up on their own once the tank stabilizes. in the mean time, oto cats are small catfish that won't heavily affect your bioload that will feast on the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom