Brown Algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I was going to pm theotheragentm about MTS's and if there were any left but it turned into more of a question about diatoms so I will post here and see.

Not sure if it helps but will MTS's take care of diatoms? I am pretty sure that is what I have. I know it's not algea but will they help?

I have also heard that Ottos and BN Plecos will do it but I know I am overstocked right now and thought that snails would help and not add to the bio-load at the same time.

theotheragentm - Hi, do you have any snails left? If so about how much would it cost to ship 'em out?

I wouldn't count on snails to the trick. They will do some good, but they will be patchy at best.

I'll private message you hopefully tomorrow and let me know what I have available.

All they will do is leave little snail munch tracks through the diatom patches... you would need a tankful of THOUSANDS of them eating non stop for days...

Ok, snails probably out. Plus, I cleaned the tanks yesterday and found out a couple of things....

1. The brown algea doesn't come off that easy. I really have to rub at it, but it doesn't have any bad smell.

2. I found a little gel sac stuck to the inside of my in tank filter. It was clear with little white dots in it. Is this a clutch of snail eggs? Plus I found little bubbles on the glass of the tank at the old water line when I changed the water. Are these snail eggs too? I think my fish took care of most of them cause I didn't really see any more after the water was filled back up over that evaporated line. (hope that makes sense, check my post time :) )

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom