Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

brown colored stuff on gravel

ok first off its a 135 gallon tank just got it set back up after i resealed it well the other day i seen brown stuff growing on my glass of my 55 gallon so i took tank all apart and cleaned it out good. i do water changes every other week and clean gravel . well was looking at the 135 and seen it was on my gravel in there to never had this problem before and i dont now what it is i dont treat the water i dont test the water so i know you all will say this is my problem . would like to know what its called and how do i get rid off it dont want to take the tank down again. its not bad yet its not on the glass and not all over the gravel just some spots and i did increase my lighting so could this cause it also right now in the tank i got about 20 tetras most fish iv ever had .please let me know what to buy so i can stop this.also how long should i run my lights no plants just fish

Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Does it come off like a powder? Probably diatoms which is normal in a new tank. It will go away on its own.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

shounds liek de diatumz, maan.

--His Majesty, Poo Poo Dusty, Esq.

Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger.

--MCD
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

it does come off it i pick up the peice and rub it in my fingers like powder and didnt see it earlyer but is on the glass it was in my 55 thats been up and running for 8 months or so should have just used sand instead of gravel can some one tell me what this is
Old 02-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it comes off like powder it is diatoms. A microscopic organism that feeds on silicates. It will go away on its own when it exhausts its food supply. Nothing to worry about, though I will grant you it is ugly. Ottos will eat it.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok cool ty rich what is the cause of it seems the more i run my lights the more it grows where can i found ottos all i got near by is petco and couple little mom and pop shops and dont see them there never checked petco i got draftwood to i heard they like that and how long should i run my lights rich i dont have plants
Old 02-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Without plants 8 hours is more than enough time to have your lights on. As for the ottos call your local stores maybe you will get lucky. One of the smaller stores might order them for you.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok cool thanks for the help rich ill let ya now how it gos

Tags
gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com