brown colored stuff on gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kickeralpine

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok first off its a 135 gallon tank just got it set back up after i resealed it well the other day i seen brown stuff growing on my glass of my 55 gallon so i took tank all apart and cleaned it out good. i do water changes every other week and clean gravel . well was looking at the 135 and seen it was on my gravel in there to never had this problem before and i dont now what it is i dont treat the water i dont test the water so i know you all will say this is my problem . would like to know what its called and how do i get rid off it dont want to take the tank down again. its not bad yet its not on the glass and not all over the gravel just some spots and i did increase my lighting so could this cause it also right now in the tank i got about 20 tetras most fish iv ever had .please let me know what to buy so i can stop this.also how long should i run my lights no plants just fish

Does it come off like a powder? Probably diatoms which is normal in a new tank. It will go away on its own.

shounds liek de diatumz, maan.

--His Majesty, Poo Poo Dusty, Esq.

Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger.

--MCD

it does come off it i pick up the peice and rub it in my fingers like powder and didnt see it earlyer but is on the glass it was in my 55 thats been up and running for 8 months or so should have just used sand instead of gravel can some one tell me what this is

If it comes off like powder it is diatoms. A microscopic organism that feeds on silicates. It will go away on its own when it exhausts its food supply. Nothing to worry about, though I will grant you it is ugly. Ottos will eat it.

ok cool ty rich what is the cause of it seems the more i run my lights the more it grows where can i found ottos all i got near by is petco and couple little mom and pop shops and dont see them there never checked petco i got draftwood to i heard they like that and how long should i run my lights rich i dont have plants

Without plants 8 hours is more than enough time to have your lights on. As for the ottos call your local stores maybe you will get lucky. One of the smaller stores might order them for you.

Back
Top Bottom