brown rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new-b

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everyone new to the game and i had my tank about 2 months now and the water looks great but my white rocks and my shells are turning brown a little what can i so thanks

Attachments

• homers 119.jpg
    homers 119.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 53
its algae though i cant see it in the pic. its a little small. you could always take it out and wipe it off thought it should go away on its own.

How long has the tank been setup? It sounds like diatoms and I agree that it will probably go away in time.

It is most likely diatoms. Not an uncommon problem in new tanks. People are tempted to start buying chemicals to clear it up or disrupt the tank and such. Patience is warranted and if you let the tank mature naturally then there will be micro-fauna that develop and compete with diatoms for nutrients and they will literally go away over nite. In an undisturbed populated tank this usually occurs in a few weeks or so after they make an appearance. Some ways to help keep them to a minimum is to make sure you are doing small partial water changes frequently, feed sparingly, make sure you have adequate water movement throughout the tank. And if you keep the light on more than 8 hours a day or o you should cut it off.

Honestly though, looking at the picture I do not see any appreciable problem.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom