Brown stuff???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfish620

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my little brother has a small 1 gallon tank with a beta fish and I have a 10 gallon tank. I looked at his tank today and found brown stuff on the gravel and decoration this has never happened to my tank before because I have goldfish (really maintained) I know I am upgrading tanks soon. But help its gross I have never seen it before and this is not my tank its my little brothers.... Thanks.

Sent from my HP 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could be brown algea? Most likely because the betta is in such a small tank and the nutrients build up fast. Just my guess.

Algae I have only have only had green and yes there's a light to thank I maintain my tank q lot everyday but his tank I haven't looked up with n in 3 days .

Is the light on a lot? Long periods of the light being on will cause this brown algae if it is that.

No my brother doesn't feed the beta fish that much. I showed him good habit's....

If there is no filter then water changes are even more important. With a filter i'd do 50% weekly changes.

Lights on no more than 6 hours daily for now. Timers are cheap.

Gravel vacuum if no live plants.

Bettas appreciate live plants. Java Fern or a moss ball are easy.

Only leave the lights on 8 hours a day, get a stem of anacharis, or sword plant, and change 50% of the water every week. Should clear up soon.

Back
Top Bottom