Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Brown versus green Algae in 55 FW

I know Algae.
Some of my best friends are green and unicellelular.
But what's the rusty coloured stuff? Jeff

Old 10-09-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure but i belive they call it Diatom Algae..I was having a problem with it until i got three Otto catfish. They srubbed the tank clean inside a week.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

An oto it is then!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Jeff, get more than one. They're much happier in groups.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure how well they will fair with my other fishies, some African cics, a plec, a raphael--and I never buy more than one!
Will the Pleco do any of the work?
Also, is there anything wrong with Diamotecoes algae.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #6

I think the brown algae is common on new tanks or if you just did a major water change. It usually goes away with time, water changes, and decreased feedings.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had some in my Goldy tank, threw in a Pleco, and he's gone to work on it.. I have to start supplementing his food in a day or two with algae wafers, because there certainly won't be any algae left in the tank.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to urville
oto's DO like groups? oh crap... like how many?
diatom algae arent real algae, i believe their bacterial and eat up nitrates? anyone remember cause it's like 9am on a sat and i'm still a little fuzzy
Old 10-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by urville
oto's DO like groups? oh crap... like how many?
3 or more. I started out with one and I never saw him. Once I got him some buddies he came out of hiding. 8)

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right on both counts.
Too much food and it all started after a major water change. Better stop feeding the buggers and changing the water less more often. Jeff
Old 10-09-2004, 10:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have two Otto's and they're doing great. They immediating starting sucking tank glass, and haven't stopped since. My tank was established with plenty of algae and they have quite an appetite, however, they poop frequently. It's funny though, everyone talks about how they cleaned their tanks of brown algae and my tank still has plenty of it on my driftwood, plastic plants and such. It's not such a big deal since I didn't purchase them to clean it out.

You can easily wipe the algae off ornaments and I read somewhere that it grows in new tanks.

Tags
algae, green algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com