Brown versus green Algae in 55 FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cafe Jeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know Algae.
Some of my best friends are green and unicellelular.
But what's the rusty coloured stuff? Jeff

I'm not sure but i belive they call it Diatom Algae..I was having a problem with it until i got three Otto catfish. They srubbed the tank clean inside a week.

Not sure how well they will fair with my other fishies, some African cics, a plec, a raphael--and I never buy more than one!
Will the Pleco do any of the work?
Also, is there anything wrong with Diamotecoes algae.

I think the brown algae is common on new tanks or if you just did a major water change. It usually goes away with time, water changes, and decreased feedings.

I had some in my Goldy tank, threw in a Pleco, and he's gone to work on it.. I have to start supplementing his food in a day or two with algae wafers, because there certainly won't be any algae left in the tank.

oto's DO like groups? oh crap... like how many?
diatom algae arent real algae, i believe their bacterial and eat up nitrates? anyone remember cause it's like 9am on a sat and i'm still a little fuzzy

Right on both counts.
Too much food and it all started after a major water change. Better stop feeding the buggers and changing the water less more often. Jeff

I have two Otto's and they're doing great. They immediating starting sucking tank glass, and haven't stopped since. My tank was established with plenty of algae and they have quite an appetite, however, they poop frequently. It's funny though, everyone talks about how they cleaned their tanks of brown algae and my tank still has plenty of it on my driftwood, plastic plants and such. It's not such a big deal since I didn't purchase them to clean it out.

You can easily wipe the algae off ornaments and I read somewhere that it grows in new tanks.

Back
Top Bottom