Brownish Algae--Added Photos of our 20 gal! :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have had a Coralife, 65 watt dual spectrum light on our 20 gal for about a month now...and we have noticed a mild build up of lightish brown algae. It goes away with an algae scrub and the Pleco likes it, even the mollies nibble at it. It's not thick or anything, I can see it b/c I am always looking through and at the tank for any evidence of anything wrong. :) Could this just be because of the new lights? We keep them on for 10 hours. The tank is 20 gal, ph 7.1 constant, 78 degrees constant...happy fish, clear water, no smell. Any thoughts?

I am interested in an answer to this one as well.

My guess is that it is natural and good for your pleco to eat instead of algae chips. I wouldn't worry too much as long as it doesn't get out of control.

I have a piece of driftwood in my tank that has some fury algae growing on it. It looks natural and I bet that if I had an algea eater in there it would love it. I am cycling the tank and don't want to add more fish yet but guess this would be beneficial to an algae eater. I just hope it doesn't get out of hand before I get one.

Louise

and we have noticed a mild build up of lightish brown algae.

Very common with a new tank, or, in your case, lighting upgrade. It's a diatom algae, usually you get it for a couple of weeks, then it dies off. It doesn't hurt anything, so don't worry about it. it wipes off the glass, plants, and decor very easily if you chose to remove it manually. I dont clean it off anything but the glass, the rest I let time and nature take care of it.

Hey CV, does nature include an algae eater? I wipe the walls but the driftwood I would like to keep it growing so when I get an algae eater it will have enough to feed on.

Louise

Louie,

You could get a Pleco (depending on your tank size) or a few siamese Algae Eaters....

Both should eat their share.

I agree with biggen 100%. If going for a pleco, get one of the varieties that stay small. I just have SAE's.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. It doesnt' seem to get worse. It's very little and really only visible to me. We added some more great plants this weekend, so I am hoping it will help the algae issue. I included some photos for you guys. A shot of the whole tank. I have other photos, not sure how to get them all attached.

More pics

I noticed in the photo the water looks green, it's a reflection from the plants I guess. In real life it's nice and clear! Thank goodness :)

Nice tank and setup. Your plants look lovely and healthy as do the fish.

I hope the algae prob is fixed with the addition of plants too.

Louise

Back
Top Bottom