Brush algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avcc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think I have brush algae but was wondering if anyone here knows why and maybe how I can get rid of it? I don't have any live plants, just imitation. I do 10% water change every week. My lights is on for only 6 hours a day. Tank has been running for 12 months now. I condition the tap water. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

image-653439333.jpg

wow, bummer, I've had it for quite a while. It's very hard to eradicate, some things I've tried and found in research are - Live plants n lots of em, they help remove excess nutrients from the water. Make sure you're not overfeeding, this can promote algae growth. Killifish (?) such as american flagfish have been suggested to me as fish that will eat it, but I had no success with this. I usually do 25% water changes weekly, increasing the amount of waterchanged out might help. There is a lot of info out there that suggests you must completely remove everything and either boil decorations or scrub them in a mild bleach solution, but I'm afraid of that! Sorry for the book and good luck, hopefully someone else can give you a definitive answer.

SAE are the fish that eat BBA. Try an excel spot treatment. After a few days it will then turn a nice shade of pink. I've found alot of fish then eat the dying BBA. My SAE and gouramis love it.

Oh right, thank you very much both of you. I will try doing more water changes and I'll go and buy some plants tomorrow. But I was reluctant to try the excel as I didn't have plants in the tank but if I'm going to get plants I'll give it a try. Thanks again for your help :)

How much light do you have on the tank? BBA is usually caused by high light conditions and inadequate CO2.

I have 2 long bulbs that came with the tank originally. I would have to have a look tomorrow to see what the powers are. But I only keep the lights on a max of 6 hours. And please could you explain to me about the co2, if you don't mind as I'm still new to some of this. Thank you in advanced :)

That's crazy BBA! I thought I had it bad. I thoroughly enjoyed using a syringe full of H2O2 and watching it fizz.. then seeing it slowly turn red and dissappear. BBA grows rampant in fluctuating co2 levels, and light just adds to it. Without injecting co2, it looks like your lighting might be a bit much.

Arh so please will you explain about the co2 or tell me some where I can read about it. What is it that I need to buy from the shop? Is co2 a liquid and can I buy it from any pet stores? Also am I allowed the use the co2 even though I don't have real plants? Or would I be best to get real plants? Cos I'm off to get real plants today. Sorry about all the questions I just want to understand it better.

Before you get the real plants make sure to double check exactly what your lighting is. Some plants need more light than others.

Also Google is your friend in this Hobby. I have found that out and many folks on here believe in researching. I must say you will learn more that way instead of depending on a thousand different opinions on how to do things. Google "Co2 for planted aquariums", and plenty of info will come up. After you have researched your fill ask for some advice, and prepare to be enlightened! :) As for me I run an automatic CO2 set up, with a regulator. You can also run DIY CO2 if you want to save money. Yes, you can also get the tablet form, but I do not have experience with those.

I've heard that BBA can happen in low light tanks when you have a buildup of organics. What's your stocking and tank size?

Well yeah I was thinking it really can't be my light cos last year I had a problem with green water so I didn't use my light much apart from a few hours a day and to be honest I still dont leave it on as long as other people, 6 hours max. I did find the cause for the green water, it was my tap water but it's fine now. I'm going to look up my light specs today but I do know I've got 1 white bulb and 1 blue bulb. Then when the blue bulb goes I'm getting a red one. I don't have loads of fish as I've always been told not to over stock. I've got a 200 litre tank and in it is 6 Plattys, 7 guppys, 4 mollys, 6 Corey's and 1 plec, oh and 2 apple snails. My coreys keeps scattering there eggs every where and I've been told that's a sign they are happy. Thanks again and I'll find out the light specs in a min.

Had a look at my bulbs and there isn't anything written on them. So I looked up where I brought it from and according to the company they are 39w so any one no if this is to much light for 200 litres and also does anyone know what sort of plants would be best for this lighting? Oh and correction I thought it was a blue bulb but it's actually red lol. Any info would be much appreciated. I've also read what you told me off google and I'm understanding the co2 now. I'm off to try and find the excel today from the fish shop.

Hey thank you for that, just one quick probably stupid question to that, have I got to use any particular bleach and how long do I leave things in it? Thank you very much :)

Ha sorry u already answered how long, 1 min. Read it to fast lol. Thanks.

The bleach i use was clorex . If you use 10 oz of water, 1oz is bleach clorex. People use 2 min for hard plants. I did the same result for 1 min. Don't dip your roots. Moss is 20 sec. After diping in bleach, rinse you plant until they don't smell anymore bleach. And then clean it again. After you put your plants back. Do as normal water change.

Check for phosphates, high phosphates will cause algae problems, especially hair algae.

Funny you say test water for phosphates. I did it yesterday. Took a water sample to the fish store and they have recommended me phosex rapid so I've dosed the tank with that so fingers crossed I might start seeing an improvement. If not I'll have to start taking things out n boiling the ornaments and fake plants. Thank you all for your help :)
Merry Xmas everyone ?

The problem you have now. Is that you have more algae compared to live plants. So, the plants can not compete with you algae. You need to remove it. If you do, algae will try to return. The reason for that phenomen is...when you had remove they algae, you created a imbalance. Just keep removing excess algae for 3 months minimum . Until your aquarium balance its self. Phosphate in good for plants between .25 and .5 ppm

I am not sure that you have real plant. If you don't. Then removing almost all they phosphate below ppm.1 will help. And stop playing in your gravel with out removing the water.

You probably already did that but just in case. Look at Google the words " brush algae "

Back
Top Bottom