bubble ladder alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm sure that I'm not alone when I say those Hagen bubble ladders are big and ugly. Are there any other options that people prefer? I was thinking that running the tube through an air stone underneath a rock would work. The CO2 would collect in the pocket under the rock and slowly leak out/mix with the water. Is this a good idea, or should I work on a way to hide the bubble ladder when I get it all set up?

I was just getting ready to post something similar so I figured I would chime in here.

I dont think an air stone would be very efficient. While I am sure it work it is not going to keep the bubbles in the water for very long. I think that you would end up using allot of CO2 to keep you levels up.

Which leads to my question. I also have a bubble ladder. But it is having a hard time keeping up. If I turn up the C02 the bubbles just come out faster it doesnt really keep them in the water very long. I am thinking a HOB reactor with a power head is the way to go. Either that or something that plumbs inline with a canister filter.

Experts?

you need to have adequate water flow under that rock to disperse the CO2. otherwise it just collects into a large bubble, that'll shoot right to the surface.

When I first added CO2 I had a micro bubble stone in the middle of a large planting of Lugwigia. The stem plants acted like a bubble ladder. I also had a second micro air stone under a plastic treasure chest decoration, this was placed in an area that got decent current flow. The chest acted like a diffusion bell. With those two passive diffusors I was getting consistant CO2 reading in the high teens to low twenties (PPM).
I have since replaced those with a DIY gravel vac style reactor which is attached to the outflow of my canister filter. Now the CO2 readings are consistantly in the 30's.

if you put the co2 into a canister, you chance that your bacteria will grow more slowly or die

shawmutt said:
I don't think my bubble ladder is ugly :cry:

:lol: You're right. Maybe un-natural would have been a better description. I couldn't offend a fellow Hagerstown resident. I used to live on Summit Ave. a few years ago...it's been a while. Back in my wandering days.

Back
Top Bottom