Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bubble wall?

I want to put a bubble wall in my freshwater 29 gallon tank. Besides looking nice, I wonder if there would be any benefits to the fish' health? Just wondering. Anyone else do this?

Old 04-27-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The bubble's create another source of oxygen exchange. This is always a good thing.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a bubble wall in the 10 gal, but the others have sand so I can't in those. I think they look cool when you line the back of the tank or even all sides of the tank.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #4

i have a bulbble gallon in my 55 gallon, i really like the effect, i think it even makes teh water look clearer.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:20 PM   #5

i have a bubble wall in my 29 gal, i buried mine under the gravel so that way it comes out of the gravel

IMO they are very beautiful and make your tank look 'exotic'
Old 04-27-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a bubble wall in my 10 gal...After a week I turned the pump off. It was just too powerful and my water always looked cloudy from all the tiny air bubbles in it. The "wand" is still in my tank close to the bottom and has become a favorite place for all my cory cats to hide under. My biggest one, the spotted, just lays on top of it all the time.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought a couple bubble walls this evening. Hooked them up (still have fine tuning to do) and I'm not sure if I like it or not. Right now I have 2 pieces that run along the back of my 29 gallon to cover the entire back. I'm thinking of breaking it down to 1 piece just near the middle of the back of the tank, instead of spanning the entire length. I noticed that my filter makes a bit of a funny noise when the bubbles were blowing up under it. Would this be because the filter was getting a little air along with all the water? If so, would this possible damage the filter? Thanks for reading.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, maybe this is more of a question for the planted forum but I figure I'll ask here since this about bubble walls etc ...

I'm not using any CO2 for my 29 gal newly converted to planted tank... I think its doing fairly well with a 65W coralife and some Seachem ferts... will airstones and bubble-walls hurt my planted tank? I keep reading how "less" surface agitation is better for planted tanks so CO2 is not lost and airstones are a "no no" too.

But, I do miss the bubble walls I used to have in the tank.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
... but the others have sand so I can't in those.
Please forgive the n00b question, but, how come?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by e burna
I noticed that my filter makes a bit of a funny noise when the bubbles were blowing up under it. Would this be because the filter was getting a little air along with all the water? If so, would this possible damage the filter? Thanks for reading.
That is exactly what is making the noise, I had the same issue when I hooked up a surface skimmer to my filter and it sucked in air also. I asked the same question, but everyone seemed to agree that it would be okay on the filter.

I have a few problems with bubble walls. One is that, while they look cool, they also fill your tank with little air bubbles everywhere that I think make the water less clear. Its also looks pretty unnatural, and I like my tank to look like nature, not some decoration you buy at the Sharper Image. Still though, my biggest problem is the fact that you have to get an air pump, which can be loud (at least compared to my canister filter) and require fairly frequent maintenence.

Tags
bubble, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com