Bubblebee Goby Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TurbosMom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for any knowledge anyone has about bubblebee goby's.

I've been doing a little bit of research and i get so much conflicting information and was wondering if anyone here has kept them and what did you keep them with, what was the water, what and how do you feed them.

Some sites say only live food.. some say brackish water others say it's fine not too.

Hoping people here can share any experience they have.

i think they are the cutest little things :fish2:

From what I remember there are two different species, one brackish and one fresh, however the true fresh are much harder to find.

ironically i just did another search and a post from way back in 2005 on this site came up with someone asking the exact same question and the consensus was that they are brackish and while they will be ok in freshwater - it will shorten their life span.

so i'm guessing it's not two different species just a lot of misinformation.

I had a bumble bee a while ago they do get rather large , the one I had also tried to kill off all his tank-mates, including a Oscar and a pike
bumble bee's are brackish but can be slowly acclimated to fresh

i wonder if we are talking about the same fish- this guy doesn't get bigger then 2 inches (33 mm) - i don't know that it could eat an oscar... but then again i've seen so much conflicting info the size could be wrong too nothing would surprise.

this is the proper name: brachybobius doriae

same fish?

the bumble bee I had was about 12inch but is a total different species trying to search for a pict

ohh ok that's how it was able to eat an oscar - these guys would be dinner for the oscar- more like a small appetizer before the real appetizer that's how small they are.

i "think"i saw the fish you are talking about at my LFS the other day- very similiar look but much bigger.

not eat a oscar just killl them the fish I had has a much pointier beak than the one you mentioned
still searching all my albums

Last edited by a moderator:
From another site, seems like the only way to tell most of the tiny similar species apart is by dissection :/

Screenshot_20171222-144803.jpg

so it seems this post is saying either or for the fish i'm talking about.

It just occurred to me their name even sounds like brackish.. brachybobius..

ohh ok that's how it was able to eat an oscar - these guys would be dinner for the oscar- more like a small appetizer before the real appetizer that's how small they are.

i "think"i saw the fish you are talking about at my LFS the other day- very similiar look but much bigger.

not eat a oscar just killl them the fish I had has a much pointier beak than the one you mentioned
still searching all my albums

this is the type bumble bee I had
66500a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom