Bubblenests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverDragon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Somewhere on this board, a member mentioned that their gourami was building bubblenests. My Dwarf Flame Gourami has never even attempted one. Could it be there is too much current on the surface and he figures it is a lost cause? Otherwise he is happy and healthy. My Betta attempts build the bubblenests all the time even though the air stone bubbles destroy it in minutes lol.

Bettas in general do not like current in tanks. If you are talking about the male in the 3 gal, try increasing the water level in the tank to the ouput of the filter. It will reduce surface aggitation and will allow him to build nests.

I have never had a Betta try to build a bubble nest and I've had 4 different males. Only my current one has had a power filter, the others have had UGF.

SilverDragon said:
Somewhere on this board, a member mentioned that their gourami was building bubblenests. My Dwarf Flame Gourami has never even attempted one. Could it be there is too much current on the surface and he figures it is a lost cause? Otherwise he is happy and healthy. My Betta attempts build the bubblenests all the time even though the air stone bubbles destroy it in minutes lol.

yes - strong current and temperature are the main factors.
In general - the current must be very gentle (almost non-existent)
I suggest turning down the power filter to the lowest/minimum suction

and most bubble-nest builders like VERY WARM tanks.
above 79 degrees F.
They like it humid and warm, because it helps the nest stay together.

Well I am currently working on a heating solution for the Bettas 3 gallon tank, and I am going to try and reduce the bubbles coming out of the airstone by pinching the tube a little. In the other tank however, Ive had to raise the water level to maximum to accomidate the heater anyway, and the Gourami still never tries to build. Im not trying to breed him anyway, I was just curious as to why he isnt building. :D

and I am going to try and reduce the bubbles coming out of the airstone by pinching the tube a little.

that's my point -
you don't need an airstone at all !!!!

bettas/gouramis can live in water with an extremely low dissolved oxygen level (still water)
If you have a filter - that is MORE THAN ENOUGH !!

lol, I know they dont really NEED an airstone, but I read somewhere that the circulation keeps the tank at a more stable temp. The gourami is in the community tank with just a filter, no bubbler. The airstone is in the Bettas tank, and he has no filter.. just an UGF. :)

SilverDragon said:
lol, I know they dont really NEED an airstone, but I read somewhere that the circulation keeps the tank at a more stable temp. The gourami is in the community tank with just a filter, no bubbler. The airstone is in the Bettas tank, and he has no filter.. just an UGF. :)

well I would definitely recommend a bubbler for the gourami -
because its living in a community tank and chances are he won't build a nest in a community setting.

Totally off topic, but how do you get your list of tanks to appear at the end of each post?

Nevermind I figured it out... LOL :roll:

Dwarf Gouramis need still surface water to before they build nests successfully. The surface of my tank is absolutely still. I use a powerhead at the bottom of the tank (hidden in back) to suplement the circulation from my Filters (canister also with inlet and otlet at bottom of tank). The DG have built nests witn Java Moss, Riccia, Hair Algae, On top of a grove of Rotalla, On top of a big sword, and under a lily pad. There is always plants or similar on the surface they use to get things started.
I think having females encourages nesting.

Try feeding them some live food, or frozen or freeze dried bloodworms. This usually always sparks my betta's desire to bubble nest, and is also an important part of the breeding regime.

i've NEVER seen a gourami bubble-nest.

does anyone have a picture of a gourami bubble-nest ??

or even better....does anyone have a video of a gourami breeding ??

I have pics of the nest, and some 15 second video taken with my digital camera of DG's breeding. PM me your e-mail and I will send them to you.

Back
Top Bottom