Bubbles in tank, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel_fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up my new tank and have had it running for about week with out fish. It seems my air stones are starting to make these soapy type bubbles at the top, should i worry?

How sure are you that its comming from your stones? I had some foamy type bubbles show up but I was using a clearifier...I just wiped it up with a cloth and did some water changes...it went away after about a week or so...

What have you been putting in your water? And did you treat your water before you put it in? Or did you treat the tank after putting in your water?

How sure are you that its comming from your stones? I had some foamy type bubbles show up but I was using a clearifier...I just wiped it up with a cloth and did some water changes...it went away after about a week or so...

What have you been putting in your water? And did you treat your water before you put it in? Or did you treat the tank after putting in your water?

Its deff coming from air stones, as the suds are developed along the back. The only thing i added was stress zyme and some Himalayan salt. I was thinking it might be the dolomite gravel as they only started once the water cleared up after adding that. Idk how though, its probably nothing

A higher than normal concentration of Aloe Vera in a tank with an air-stone has been known to cause bubbles at the surface. Melafix, a pseudo-type med, has been known to do this as well.

If the bubbles appear soapy, add activated carbon and see if the adsorption properties remove the bubbles.

David

A higher than normal concentration of Aloe Vera in a tank with an air-stone has been known to cause bubbles at the surface. Melafix, a pseudo-type med, has been known to do this as well.

If the bubbles appear soapy, add activated carbon and see if the adsorption properties remove the bubbles.

David

Ill try that thanks... But going back to aloe, why would that be used in a fish tank?

Wow thats exactly what i used... Funny as an organic food shopper i nvr think to read the label on fish stuff, lol.
If you're using it per the directions, you should not have a problem with it. In fact, some dealers add a few squirts of this stuff into the transport bag. There are reports, however, that fish with a labyrinth organ will not do well with Aloe Vera. I cannot confirm that.

I don't use it. The way I see it, if it's not found in the wild, you won't see it in my tanks either.

David

Yeah i agree. I only used it because it came with tank. Im well aware pet store is loaded with snake oil products.

Back
Top Bottom