Bubbles on water surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
There are a lot of bubbles on the surface of my water, ranging from small-medium. After I do a PWC, there are no bubbles, but then two hours later they start to form on the surface and don't go away until another water change. Is this good, bad, what?

What kind of filter are you using? Is there an airstone or bubbler near your filter at all? I doubt it is anything to worry about personally. How old is the tank?

My surface is heavily bubbled (if that's the right way to say it). My water level is low, and airstones running at full blast during my cycle. Some bubbling is normal Marconis.

I don't have any airstones. The tank is almost three weeks old, but has only been up and running for a week.

Do you have fish in there? Are the fish fine? do you have any chemicals or soap of any sort in it?

If the tank is new it is quite normal to have bubbles on top of the tank as well as on the walls of the tank. If you have fish in there you will need to be doing daily water parameter tests and likely daily water changes. I am assuming you have fish in there as you are doing water changes. What kind of fish do you have in the tank? What size tank?

Some types of dechlorinators can bubble if you add more than you need to. (But it's harmless.) How are the little explorers handling the bubbles?

They seem fine. One has been in and out of one of my rocks the whole day, and at the moment I am pretty sure the other is sleeping because he is hovering in the middle of the tank and has been for about an hour. They seem to be doing well, they chase each other around and are almost 90% of the time with eachother...if there was soap, do you think they would've been dead by now?

I don't think it is soap at all. I think the bubbles are perfectly normal. The concern I have is for the fish based on water parameters. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. This article explains the nitrogen cycle and how it affects your fish.

I think you are a bit gun shy at this point. Kick back and enjoy the fish. If they are swimming ok, and are breathing ok, and eating ok.... Chances are that they are ok.

Yeah Sparky. It's like I am looking for things to be wrong. I guess I should just kick back and relax. It's tough to do after what I went through lol

Zagz, all of the parameters are 0, pH is 6.9-7.1. I do 15% water changes daily until I feel everything is alright, then I am going to begin cycling with pure ammonia and I am giving the fish to my friend to take care of.

I wonder if we are related somehow. Maybe a past life. The biggest lesson I've learned in the past 3 weeks since I've had my fish, (and lost one), and obsessing about soap and cycling... was when I left for a vacation for a whole week. *lol* And boy did they thrive. O.O I've learned my lesson.

Yeah it's done... like 4-5 weeks ago. I still obsessed about it while it was happening. Next time I'll add maybe 3 or 4 more commas, to assist, in comprehending, my cryptographic posts.

Marconis said:
Yeah Sparky. It's like I am looking for things to be wrong. I guess I should just kick back and relax. It's tough to do after what I went through lol

Zagz, all of the parameters are 0, pH is 6.9-7.1. I do 15% water changes daily until I feel everything is alright, then I am going to begin cycling with pure ammonia and I am giving the fish to my friend to take care of.

Just so I understand, you are going to keep the fish in the tank until everything is alright? What does that mean? Going the fishless cycling route and giving the fish to a friend to take care of is quite impressive, I congratulate you for doing the best for your fish.

I had planned to do a week long test. I would say if they thrive for a week, you've done all you can. You could go longer if you want, but I would think 7 days is a good indication, if you're up on the fishless cycling/water changes.

Yup, yup. Alright, CONCLUSION: The bubbles are nothing to worry about

I don't want this thread to turn into all my other ones lol.

Back
Top Bottom