Bud is shy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it seems my male BN, all 5 inches of him is shy. The female has been courting him for a while now and he just sits there. I thought he was sick but it is just love sick. The courting behavior i have seen is him flairing his spikes at her but not chasing her off. She comes up and shakes her tail in front of him. He breaths hard, it is actually really kinda comical. Anyway, wish them luck and hopefully he will lose his shyness sooner or later.

Anything I can change or do to inspire the couple? They have a piece of driftwood and I put a ceramic cave in there if they want it.

Can ayone tell me if this is normal behavior? Also, Bud seems to very tolerant to the female, almost like he is in a hunger strike letting the female, Silver, eat her fill and I never see him eat. He is not getting thin though. He also is healthy so I think he eats late at night long after the lights have been turned off.

Should the spawn be close or am in for a whirlwind dating game for months and months?

I have been in touch with BrianNY off anf on so I have some contact but ask away. He came around a little tonight after the lights went out but not too long.

Also, I know that it says the male will turn lighter but the female is turning a really bright off orange/brown color when she really gets to flirting. The only thing I can think of that could be wrong is the pH is below 7 and I have read they really like a neutral pH.

You can't hurry this fish 4 all. It takes two to tango and they both must be willing and ready. It does not mean anything is wrong with your male.

It has been my experience that spawns occur only above a nuetral pH. You might try putting a handful pf crushed coral in a mesh bag to increase yours. Leave it in your tank for a few days and the pH will gradually rise.

Yah, that is about the only thing i hadn't addressed and figured is was the most important. I will get some crushed coral and I am also gonna get some frozen blood worms and see if they want them. Not in a hurry though. Is just really odd to watch the courting behavior and the way they act toward each other right now.

I know this is off subject, but how will that effect my CO2 levels or would the coral be considered a buffer that makes it really hard to calculate the levels?

I've just gotten 15 BN's and have been talking to the guy I got them off of. I asked him just this very thing cause with my Apistogramms the female will be in breeding colors but the male just wasn't having any of it. I asked him if this is common with BN's and he told me and I qoute. " If this happens with them to place cut green beans in the tank unsalted." Most prople will feed them zuccannie and while they like it and it's a good single portain srouce for them. The green beans will promote spawning in the males.
It has something to do with there motabalizum. It has worked for him 9 times. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom