Buenos Aries Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaloric7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm just establishing my first aquarium (36 gallon) and I'm considering getting Buenos Aries tetras. Are they a good starter fish? How many should I get for that volume?

Thank you!

I'm just establishing my first aquarium (36 gallon) and I'm considering getting Buenos Aries tetras. Are they a good starter fish? How many should I get for that volume?

Thank you!

Very beautiful fish however they are evil! Your stock will be very limited. They are known as the 1 dollar pirahna.

Will they devour each other, or only other fish? I wasn't planning on getting any tank-mates for them, at least to start. Maybe a smallish plecco, if there is such a thing.

They grow pretty large for a tetra and are extremely active swimmers. They are known to be quite nippy toward one another and toward tank mates. A 36 gallon is essentially a taller 29 gallon... I don't think I would recommend this species for a 30" tank.

They grow pretty large for a tetra and are extremely active swimmers. They are known to be quite nippy toward one another and toward tank mates. A 36 gallon is essentially a taller 29 gallon... I don't think I would recommend this species for a 30" tank.

OK. What other fish should I consider? I was leaning towards White Cloud Mountain Minnows, but they're not really large or colorful enough for my wife.

=/

OK. What other fish should I consider? I was leaning towards White Cloud Mountain Minnows, but they're not really large or colorful enough for my wife.

=/

Have you considered harlequin rasboras, scissor tail rasboras or cherry barbs?

Threadfin rainbows would be nice if you can find them in your area. Cardinal tetras are definitely colorful, maybe she would like those. Von rio/flame tetras are colorful too. :)

Back
Top Bottom