Bug Spray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having my apartment sprayed for bugs. I have ants every year which brings in other bugs. ewww.

Any thing I should do for my tanks? Cover them or just not worry about it?

I think I'd worry about it. Ask the company about the safety of the spray, specifically in regards to your tanks, they'll probably say it isn't pet safe...then ask about how it's done. If it's a directed, liquid spray that won't be in the air much you might be able to just cover the tanks very well, and maybe add a bubbler running from outside to keep positive pressure inside the tank to keep any gas out. If it's more in line with the whole bug bomb/put a tent around the house thing I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving my tanks set up.

Edit: Well, I guess even with an aerosol you might be able to get away with sealing the tanks to virtually air tight, then use a bubbler from outside or a compressed oxygen cylinder to keep the pressure very positive. Might work. Oh, and I think it would depend upon where they're spraying. If it's a liquid to the outside of the house I'd be much less worried than something in the same room.

I would pretend you're doing a black out on the tank. Seal it up well and as mentioned have an outside source of air coming in. It's not going to be easy/cheap to do, but I would not recommend doing nothing.

Regardless of what you do I would recommend a near complete water change when you are allowed back in. How many days/hours do you have to stay out?

EDIT:

Oh and get any equipment (food, buckets, nets, etc.) out of the apartment. The last thing you want is to keep the fish/tank safe and then contaminate it during a water change!

If you're just having the perimeter sprayed, make sure your fish stuff is away from the area and covered. Putting stuff in big plastic garbage bags and tying them shut will protect it.

If you're having the place bombed or fogged (unlikely for ants), then you would want to cover the tanks with plastic bags to prevent mist from getting in. Also, you would want to cover up all fish stuff too.

Don't forget to cover any children's toys and other pet stuff you might have lying around.

You could also ask the exterminator to use a gel insecticide instead of a liquid spray. The gel applies easily and doesn't get into the air the way sprays do. It also seems to last longer.

They come in and spray all along my baseboards and up on my counters etc along the back. It is not sprayed in the air, but I am sure spraying it on the floor it does go into the air somewhat.

My 55gl is on a stand against a wall in my kitchen by my computer desk. I have a very open kitchen. I will NOT allow him to spray BEHIND the tank. I know that much. I Keep my fish supplies in a drawer in the kitchen that I will remove just in case. I will set my 5gl bucket and python in my car for the day as well. I worry about it getting in there.

I was thinking of a good 75% water change and skipping a PWC and going two weeks. I usually do it once a week. That way I have two weeks of washing and using my sink etc before I use it for the fish tank.

I dont have to leave, he just comes in and sprays and leaves.

My 10gl is on a bookcase in the living room. Again I will ask him not to spray behind that as well.

Should I cover them with blankets or black garbage bags? How long should I leave it covered after he is gone?

Also will have all windows shut and A/C off for several hours to make the air not move so much in my apartment.

Outside bubbler? I am confused I have air pump and two bubble curtains along the back so the entire back of my tank is bubbles coming up to the surface.

Any other advise?

If it's not a full environment spraying, you should be much better off. The other guys have the right idea I think. Get an air pump with a lot of tubing. Run it out the nearest window so you're putting outside air into the tank. As far as sealing up the tank, you can't if you're adding outside air. You'd be creating a balloon at that point. I would put a layer of plastic wrap over the tank with bleed holes so the air can escape. Then put another layer on top, possibly tin foil that holds its shape better, so you can still let the air get out but reduce the chances of particles falling down onto the tank. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom