Bugs(?) in my water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demakat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my fish seem fine so I'm putting this here...its my whole tank thats not so well....I think...??

there are tiny brown bugs swimming in my water. many of them. (its a 10 gallon, with one male betta and a alge eater, and a penguin biofilter)

I can't find any information about them, and its happened once before and then they all disappeared. But now they're backbecause I'm useing melafix to help my betta with his massively torn tail (he was attacked by a bluegill thinking the whole tank will have to be taken down and totally cleaned out.

I have homes for the two fish and will move them tomorrow (its 10:30 here) because these bugs are not on my fish...and seem to be very intrested in the rocks at the bottom

Is there any way to get rid of them without takeing down the whole thing and having to let it re-cycle.

Please yell at me if I'm being an idiot and doing something obviously wrong.

its either 2 things i can think of... either daphnia, or those little bugs that are there when you feed too much. daphnia, you fish should eat them eventually and are harmless. the other bug is just there because of the food, so just feed less and do some water changes. like <40%. im thinking about 15-30 every dayish.

could be something else, but anything else probally isnt it

is there any Pictures you could give? or mabe google it? well are the fish eating them? mabe you could remove some of the filter media and get a closer lookor put a cup in ther and look at em

i'm having a similar problem. In my sump where i'm raising some baby danios, there are dozens of little giant flea looking critters. they aren't large enough to eat the babies however so i'm not too worried

Yeah, a pic would help. When I started my planted tank, I had some bugs hitch-hike on my plants. My fish took care of the problem quickly. They were about 1-2 mm long and dark reddish/brown. They looked alot like this:

Attachments

• aphid.gif
    aphid.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 139
img_471432_0_4b654c4301f438ac79bd2b3275a1312a.jpg

From what I can see for all the squinting I've done at the bigger ones they look like that. (don't have a camera right now, hopefully I will get pictures though) they are brown and many are much smaller than that pencil dot.

I think my betta is eating some of them, but many are too small for him to see to eat.[/img]

They're most probably some kind of aphid. They are harmless to fish, but can damage plants by sucking the juices out of them. They probably flew into your tank from outside, or entered on plants like mine did. I wouldn't worry - your betta will see them as a very tasty snack! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom