Bugs on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
theres these tiny "dust bugs" that hop around the surface of my tanks water. They seem to like the driftwood thats peeking out of the water. Does anyone know if these are dangerous or what they could be?

it couldn't be that cause they r only above the water. They hop on the surface of the water. Never under the waters surface.

There is an insect called a water stridder that does that. Looks like a little nat with longer legs. It walks across the water surface. They are harmless. You could take a fine net and scoop them out. I am surprised the fish haven't eaten them. Increasing surface water agitation will discourage them. They like really still water.

theres these tiny "dust bugs" that hop around the surface of my tanks water. They seem to like the driftwood thats peeking out of the water. Does anyone know if these are dangerous or what they could be?

I noticed this on the surface of my planted tank once only, lots of them. Next day they were gone and never saw them again, hmm.

Back
Top Bottom