Building a cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Gorilla

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been thinking about builing a cave or hiding spot in my aquarium and I'm just wondering if I used some old lego (cleaned and with corners filed off) would the plastic do any harm?

I'd be concerned about the plastic lego's are made out of tho.. Wouldn't want htem to seep anything into the tank.

and boiling them would pobably melt them o_O

I'd think if the legos are safe for kids mouths...they'd be safe in a fish tank.

They might float though, which isn't very cave-like.

LOL...london...you and i are on the same train of thought.

I'd assume that if we can have entire tanks made of acrylic...a lego cave isn't going to leech anything harmful.

Yeah an added a URL as well. No mention of "seeping" in the article but... it must be safe. Now i am off to chuck in some old Lego toys into my tank.

Now that I think about it I have had a lego skeloten in my tank for years, it turned pink and isn't nearly as large as the cave will be but still.

Well, I build it, filed it, boiled it and no its planted in my tank.
Its about 8x8x8 with lots of small holes for water to pass through so that waste doesnt collect in it, a large 1/4 globe of clear blue plastic on the back so though its still dim, i can see inside inside.
It's large enough for my goldies to go in and turn around but its too small for them to sit in it. I also left space behind and to the sides of it so fishies dont get stuck.
My new drift wood is soaking in a tub and tomorrow I'll pick up some silicone glue and wieght it.

Now all I have to do is scrounge about $40 to get some cory cats, unfortunatly the lfs across the street only has albino ($4.99) corys and "assorted other" (Emerald Greens $9.99) corys, And I noticed one was floating with its head straight up....

There was an idea I saw here at AA - take a PVC pipe of a favorite diameter, split it in 2, cut appropriate length, cover with silicone and pour some gravel on it. When it dries cover the spots you missed the first time. You get a very natural looking cave.

captainGregor said:
There was an idea I saw here at AA - take a PVC pipe of a favorite diameter, split it in 2, cut appropriate length, cover with silicone and pour some gravel on it. When it dries cover the spots you missed the first time. You get a very natural looking cave.

Bloody good idea !!

Back
Top Bottom