Building a Fish Room!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htrivette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to be building a fish room. Nothing huge but a good size room for nothing but my fish hobby.

Here's my questions for those who have such a room: Advice for my build, if you could do yours over what would you change or just your two cents worth on building a fish room.

Thanks!

Awesome! I can't give any advice because I don't have a fishroom myself but I'll follow along!

Cool, I'm definitely jealous!
I just have a tv/fish room/ man cave (I do have 3tanks stuffed in it though).

I have a fish room, actually a separate building, 18 x 12 feet, with 20 tanks. Briefly, what worked for me is the following:
1. Acrylic tanks - lighter and easier to move (and drill if needed). I'd never buy another glass tank.
2. LED lights - less electric used - all on timers.
3. HVAC for the whole room instead of individual tank heaters (except for discus that need higher temps)
4. Plumbed two sets of 6 tanks together and used a sump for filtration for each set. Much easier cleaning and temperature control. After 5 years, no disease problems.
5. Have a 40 gallon horse trailer tank for R/O water and another for tap water. Since they are in the fish house, they are the same temperature as the tanks so no problems with temperature changes.
6. Drain water outside into landscaping.
7. Used sturdy metal shelving for tanks
8. Three electric circuits and about 20 outlets high and low. (Next time I'd do 4 circuits.
9. LED ceiling lights, one on a timer.
That's all I can think of right now. Send me a message if you have any questions.

I wish I planned out my fish room better. Now I have to redo all the electric. rearange all the tanks. I have saltwater and I Breed fresh water Plus QT tanks. I have a fish room and the tanks keep coming. Put a good plan together. My problem is I have to keep adding more tanks to keep up with my breeding. You may want to figure how many future tanks you want and consider space for them. Setting up a fish room all depends on how your going to use it. showroom,breeding room,or both. Once you start you always want more.

Great pointers and things I haven't considered. I am planning on around 20 tanks myself. Also considering the sump idea for groups of tanks but I do worry about disease. Trying to research auto water change systems so if anyone has suggestions in that area.

Drilling tanks I'm somewhat nervous about. I currently only have glass tanks.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming. I know I'm not the only one taking in the knowledge.

Thanks!

I worried about spreading disease around with a sump attached to 6 tanks but I have had no problems after five years. One tank had ich once and I treated the whole batch of tanks and only lost two fish in the one tank. I'd never try to drill a glass tank but it's a snap with acrylic. As I said, I would never buy another glass tank.

I don't have a fish room (just a couple of tanks) but I'd search "fish room" and "fishroom" on YouTube. There are a lot of how-to videos on the topic from some pretty experienced aquarists.

Back
Top Bottom