Building an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUEaquarium06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I plan to build my own tank this weekend and i was wondering if anyone has any advise on doing this. buying tanks is just to expensive and i am quite the handy man if i do say so myself so im sure i can handle it haha
I have certain questions like
-How thick should the glass be?
-what type of glass?
-how would you cut the glass?

Acrually.... buying plate glass and having it cut ends being pretty pricey, only way you'll save money is with scrap glass..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the tools to cut the glass, haha im in school for auto body work and auto tech. i have every tool imaginable. But would acrylic work?

Im thinking maybe 2 pieces of hardened plastic (for the back and bottom) with a sheet of acrylic as the front, bended into place?

Acrylic is even more money, providing you're capable of cutting and smoothing edges? How will you transport a 4x8' sheet of 1/4" glass? 3/8" is your going over 40 gallons...what size tank are you wanting?

Yeah, it's not something you should just dive into.

Acrylic you need to use cast cell acrylic. Not just any acrylic/plastic will work, has to be cast cell.

Sounds as if you need to do a LOT more research.
Google is your friend in this instance. ;) search aquarium building and you should come up with more than enough resources.
There are other sites around that are more suited to questions of building your own tank.

Ohhhhhh..... check Craigs list for scrap?? You could probably buy a 10 gal on cl for $5??

heck no, im thinking more of like 10 gallons, 15 tops. i dont want anything big i barely have any space haha

pffff, if that is all you want, hit Petco on a buck-a-gallon sale.
No way you are going to build one for ten bucks, the silicone alone will cost almost that much.

well everyone thanks for ruining my dreams hahaha, brookster i took you advice and i already got a 36 bow front w/ stand, filter, heater, and gravel for 20 bucks. talked to the guy im picking it up saturday. see thats why i post on here ya'll just keep my dreams realistic

There are some great deals to be had on cl.. best ones.ususally involve some poor fella who's old ball and chain says "it's me or the tanks!" .. if that day ever comes I'll be sure to post on here first;)

20 or so..

well everyone thanks for ruining my dreams hahaha, brookster i took you advice and i already got a 36 bow front w/ stand, filter, heater, and gravel for 20 bucks. talked to the guy im picking it up saturday. see thats why i post on here ya'll just keep my dreams realistic

well you can't beat that (y)
good deal for sure, I'm kinda jealous.

yess just talked to my girlfriend and i am officially getting that tank, i guessed this worked out best for me. bigger tank, less money, and i dont have to do any physical work. haha yay laziness

I plan to build my own tank this weekend and i was wondering if anyone has any advise on doing this. buying tanks is just to expensive and i am quite the handy man if i do say so myself so im sure i can handle it haha
I have certain questions like
-How thick should the glass be?
-what type of glass?
-how would you cut the glass?

Im watching this actually at this moment

Back
Top Bottom