bulged eyes on mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grod9999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey any one have any idea why just on mollie in a tank of numberous fish (3guppies,2platys,4mollies,peacock eel, and ghost shrimp) would have ghis issue out of no where. They are in a 30 gallon tank

Sounds like Pop-Eye. Its a symptom of an infection. Here's a little article on it: Fish Pop-Eye

If youre able to, I would suggest isolating it into a Hospital/Quarantine tank so that what ever the underlying cause is doesnt spread to your other fish.

Thank you very much! I believe you are 100% correct!

I have mollies and this problem occurs from time to time. If you get it treated quick before the eye is really bulging the fish will make a recovery. I found that canning or kosher salt added to a QT tank for a couple of weeks works better than anything else I have tried. I spent a small fortune on meds trying to save my oldest molly. She would show improvement and then get worse. I finally decided to stop all meds, clean the QT tank, and just do salt and hope for the best. She recovered and lived for several months. She was already a couple of years old and had grown up in a store tank before coming to me. The dosage for salt is 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons of water. I would do a large water change every couple of days to keep the salt from building up too much.

Back
Top Bottom