Bully Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruceanthony

Aquarium Advice Regular
My neon blue dwarf gourami started occasionally bothering my silver dollars, so I got another smaller neon blue dwarf gourami to try to stop the bullying. Now the first gourami chases the new guy CONSTANTLY. If he's not hiding, he's getting chased. So pretty much, my solution only created a worse problem. Any tips?

How big is your tank and adding another gourami with an already known agrresive one shouldn't have been done I would suggest rehomeing the aggressive gourami

It's a 30g tank. I suppose rehoming is an option since I have another smaller tank. I just thought dwarf gouramis were supposed to be peaceful.

It's a 30g tank. I suppose rehoming is an option since I have another smaller tank. I just thought dwarf gouramis were supposed to be peaceful.

Nope no groumai are to there own kind actually. Yes they can get along in some cases but, it matters on personailty. An silver dollars get up to dinner plate size so be prepared

Do you plan on a much larger tank since silver dollars get about 6" or so and need 3 or more since they school at least I would suggest 55g

I would rehome those silver dollars. The tank size is too small. How many do you have?

All fish have their own personalities.
For example: male bettas are known to be highly aggressive and need to be by themselves. However, some members on here have had success with them in a community tank.
Female bettas are known to be community fish. But the same concept applies - it varies greatly based on the individual personality.

I only have 2 silver dollars. I'm pretty new to this whole aquarium thing, and I bought them before I knew anything about minimum tank size requirements. I'm liking the hobby so far, but it seems like there's a lot to learn first.

I only have 2 silver dollars. I'm pretty new to this whole aquarium thing, and I bought them before I knew anything about minimum tank size requirements. I'm liking the hobby so far, but it seems like there's a lot to learn first.

Yes. It is A LOT to learn and take in :)
We all have made beginner's mistakes though. And we are all here to help :)

Now, could I suggest you rehome your silver dollars and consider getting a different kind of schoolin fish?
Galaxy Rasboras, Red Eye Tetras, Black Skirt Tetras, and Diamond Tetras are all some of my favorite choices :)

Is there any kind of other fish you like? Perhaps angelfish?

Yes there is a lot to learn I find it fun to learn something new each day I would suggest rehoming the silvers and the aggressive gourami and add some nice smaller schooling fish like tetras and keep the peaceful gourami

Yeah it's a lot, just read an research an repeat lol. Angelfish girl made lots of good suggestions

Yes. It is A LOT to learn and take in :)
We all have made beginner's mistakes though. And we are all here to help :)

Now, could I suggest you rehome your silver dollars and consider getting a different kind of schoolin fish?
Galaxy Rasboras, Red Eye Tetras, Black Skirt Tetras, and Diamond Tetras are all some of my favorite choices :)

Is there any kind of other fish you like? Perhaps angelfish?

Good choices 30g is ok for 1 Angel , rummy nose, cardinals, danios are other good choices too

Oh i forgot about Rummynoses! I love those too :) a nice school of rummys and galaxy Rasboras would look nice. Maybe an angelfish as a centerpiece, the dwarf, and a few Cories or one BN pleco? :)

Yeah I just always thought...put some fish in some water and you're done! Not so much.lol I have some guppies and zebra danios that school. Probably not enough though. I just get worried about overstocking. And yes I love angelfish. I actually had a big marbled one for one of my first fish, buuuuuut the instant aquarium gravel that comes with live bacteria turned out to not be so instant. I essentially stocked the aquarium before it had cycled. So since then, I've been really hesitant to buy any fish over $10. Can't wait to finally have the tank I want.

Back
Top Bottom