Bully fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emma1983

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i only have 2 sunset plattys and 2 black swords in 2foot tank. one of the black swords is bullying the 2 plattys i think maybe playing or fighting what do you think?

Depends if they're male or female as fish can get really boisterous or bully if they're in mixed sex groups, especially of there isn't enough females for each male!

bully fish

how can i sex them they identical 2 black two orange?

Swordtail males have a section of their tails at the bottom that is longer than the rest and looks sword like. And platy males have a tube and tiny fins underneath instead of large triangular underfins like females. Google will show you pictures.

Color has nothing to do with it.
It is easy to determine the sex of most livebearers by noting the differences in the anal fin. The female has a fan shaped anal fin, while the male has a rod shaped anal fin. The modified anal fin in the male is known as the gonopodium, and is used to inseminate the female. Females are able to store sperm cells from the male, and can produce several broods of young from a single insemination. The gestational period is about four weeks for most livebearing species.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/livebearers1/a/livebearingfish.htm

sorry not at moment not got camera phone 2 orange plattys identical the 2 swords one is slightly larger than other but all 4 are similar sizes

bully fish

thankyou so much for that. looks like i got a male and female sword. plus one of each platty too. is that why they chasing each other. but if so why is the sword chasing the plattys?

so are they ok to be left together they wont kill each other will they ive only just started and they only 4 fish i have?

You said the tank was 2' How many gallon or liter?
I would guess if they're the only 4 inhabitants they should be ok. Just try to provide hiding places with your decor.
Some fish are relentless tho so keep monitoring the situation.

Back
Top Bottom