Bully fish/bullied fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why does my fully grown sailfin/Lyre tail molly, and my very much smaller than guppy chase around my fully matured pregnant female Molly. They don't chase around any other fish. And the fully grown Molly also chases the guppy.

Is it just. Natural selection? They don't always do it. But they chase her around quite frequently... When the full grown Molly does. It concerns me because he almost seems. Violent. But he never pecks/kisses her whatever that would be called. But the guppy does. Idk

It's mildly frustrating that they can't live in harmony. Any ideas to this?

All water parameter are good.
Temp is 76. Not even a fully stocked 20...

When is the molly due to 'birth'? The guys probably know that she is pregnant and they do eat the fry. And right now she is the weakest. Law of nature. Weakest goes first and the others know it. Not an expert, but I hope this gives you a little bit of help.

Maybe due in a few weeks. We have had her and the other for a little over a month. And also the other female as well.
But I imagine it would be soon.

So I put the orange guppy in a "breeder box" basically it's a floating box with miniature holes in it to allow it hold the fry separate from the mother.

I Put this guy in there because I noticed my female Molly wasn't feeling good. I think she was bein overly harassed. She was Laying at the bottom of the tank. And kind of... Leaning against the drift wood... And this little s***(pardon my language) came up and started pecking her on the side as if she was dead. And she freaked out and swam off.

I almost flushed him right then and there because in tired of his bullyness. And he's the smallest fish I own next to my shrimp!
So anyways. We went to sleep. He was still there, but when we woke up this morning. He was swimming around the tank. He must have jumped out of the box!

:|. I wish I knew why he did this. It feels like my Molly females are never going to drop fry...

I just watched him try to attack her as she swam by, and he's in a box...

So I put the orange guppy in a "breeder box" basically it's a floating box with miniature holes in it to allow it hold the fry separate from the mother.

I Put this guy in there because I noticed my female Molly wasn't feeling good. I think she was bein overly harassed. She was Laying at the bottom of the tank. And kind of... Leaning against the drift wood... And this little s***(pardon my language) came up and started pecking her on the side as if she was dead. And she freaked out and swam off.

I almost flushed him right then and there because in tired of his bullyness. And he's the smallest fish I own next to my shrimp!
So anyways. We went to sleep. He was still there, but when we woke up this morning. He was swimming around the tank. He must have jumped out of the box!

:|. I wish I knew why he did this. It feels like my Molly females are never going to drop fry...

NEVER flush a live fish. Return it or something or give it to a friend. Never kill off a healthy fish.

Thank you for that, as if I didn't already know that it's inhumane.
Such wonderful advice.
Did I say I flushed him? Nope I did not.
Because I know how bad it is.

Thank you for that, as if I didn't already know that it's inhumane.
Such wonderful advice.
Did I say I flushed him? Nope I did not.
Because I know how bad it is.

Huh? You did say that you nearly flushed him?if you knew how bad it was why suggest something like that on a fish site?

Huh? You did say that you nearly flushed him?if you knew how bad it was why suggest something like that on a fish site?

I'm sure he meant it out of frustration, like when I say I'm going to kill my dog if she eats any more trash. Let's focus on helping.

Your right. I said I "almost flushed him" not that I was asking if I should. Or if it would be the appropriate thing to do. I said it More out of mere frustration that he is such a dbag to the other fish.

Anyways it doesn't matter. I did not flush him, I did not ask if I should flush him. More so. I was trying to figure out what would cause him to do this.

I've found that the males of livebearing species can be...jerks. We had a female guppy that was so harassed I worried she'd live a miserable, short life. I eventually took her back to the pet store. It did help her to have places to hide. I have pretty thick plant growth and she was able to get away when she gave birth. I'm watching my son's three male guppies right now and they constantly chase each other and bicker. It's just the nature of livebearers.

I have a bully guppy too. He is constantly nipping my lyretail, but it doesn't seem to do much damage. The lyretail puts him in his place enough that I let them continue to live together.

Back
Top Bottom