Bully of the Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOOOZZZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just the last couple of days one of our fish decided he wanted to bully the other fish in the tank, I can see the stress increasing and he's not allowing the other fish to swim freely in the tank. We have a 29 gallon tank total of 5 fish all cichlids type fish. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of taking him back to the fish store.

It's hard to give advice without knowing the exact type of fish you have and which fish is bullying. Sometimes removing the bully and rearranging the tank then readding the bully afterwards can stop the aggression. But with some species nothing much works.

I agree with everything rivercats said. Any chance you can get some pictures to help us see what fish you have? If he is being that much of a pill, then you may indeed need to re-home him so your other fish don't get too stressed.

It's so weird we finished our cycle around Thanksgiving & purchased 3 fish he was one of them. He has been so good playful but suddenly turned, his top fin goes up & attacks here's a picture of him

Attachments

• image-1382008959.jpg
    image-1382008959.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 117
HUKIT thank you so much for the information. We have a albino Oscar & another similar fish (pic attached) what type of cichlids do you suggest we buy.? Btw,I'm taking the article with me and go back to fish store and show the owner since he was the one who said the Herichthys would be fine with my other cichlids I purchased that same day.

Attachments

• image-2545916319.jpg
    image-2545916319.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 110
I'm afraid none of the fish he's sold you are suitable for a 29g tank, I'd honestly recommend taking them all back. Most of the fish he sold you will reach easily over 12" and with the amount of fish between aggression, potential stunting, and deteriorating water conditions I'm afraid they're doomed.

There are hundreds of cichlids that will work well in that sized tank, I'd look into these genus's of fish:

Cryptoheros.
Amatitlania.
Mikrogeophagus.
Cleithracara.
Apistogramma.

Any of these even in pairs or trios would work. We have all been there in the past with bad information from someone who is simply out to make money on you, any questions with stocking feel free to ask since I don't have a vested interest in your tank.

Last edited:
Not to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you have fish that are going to out grow you 29 rather quickly. Unless you plan to get a bigger tank. You may want to return your present stock and go with smaller :fish2:

edit:hukit beat me to it ;-)

As Hukit said, take your fish back, tell whoever sold them to you that they're an idiot and get more appropriate fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom