bully opaline gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
The Opaline/3 Spot gourami in my 29g is quite a bully. He chases my neons and glowlights around alot. They don't seem to have any signs of actual nipping, but I'm sure it stresses them out. They stay on one side of the tank, while the opaline has his territory on the opposite side.

I am considering setting up a tank centered on him. I would add some other semi-aggressive tankmates.

The only tank I have available is my 38g tank that is empty at the moment.

I have thought about tiger barbs or serpaes. I would like a school of something that could stand up to him, but not shred his fins.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

When I had serpaes and gouramis together, the tetras always nipped fins of the gouramis. Even when I had them in a school of 7 serpaes. They bickered mostly with the other serpaes but still seemed to like to bother the gouramis once in awhile.

The tiger barbs should be ok if you keep them in a school. 7-9 is a pretty good amount.

I thought the serpaes might be a little too much. Hmm...maybe I'll get more feedback about the tiger barbs.

Do you have any suggestions about another schooler that is somewhat brave?

Maybe Phantom tetras? I don't know much about them...are they nippy?

The black phantoms would be fine. They bicker amongst themselves and leave the other fish alone.

Rainbowfish are schoolers that go great with gouramis.

I did think about the rainbows...actually saw the first ones ever at PetSmart today. My PetSmart is really clean and has a great fish selection (haven't been able to find rainbows anywhere and they had 3 types!).

Would Turquoise rainbows get too big for a 38g? They would be the only school.

My blue opaline was sort of a bully as well. He would especially terrorize a gold opaline I had. Once my pair of pearls settled in, it sort of tipped the balance since now there are other fish his size that don't put up with his garbage. Now there isn't really anyone for him to bully. My sharks don't bother anyone, but they don't run from anyone either. Same with the loaches. They can really be bullies, but you can minimize that just by finding the right fish and by making sure the tank is big enough where the gourami can stake out its territory and feel comfortable in it. At least, that's my experience.

I will be setting up a 55g soon...it will be moderately planted and the fish I plan to have are:

3 pearl gouramis
8-10 harlequin rasboras
8-10 schooling fish (haven't decided what yet)
8-10 albino cories
1 albino longfin BN

So, maybe if I put the opaline in the new tank, he would chill out. I'd be afraid he'd terrorize my pearls though, since they are usually pretty peaceful.

Bosk, do you think adding the opaline to the 55g would be better?

Instead of answering directly, I'll give you the history of the dynamics of my tank. Unfortunately, it involes the death of two gouramis, but you may find it helpful. I initially started with two small opalines: a blue and a gold. I thought both were females (that was my intention), but the blue turned out to be a male. The blue quickly took to bullying the gold, and chasing her away from any food in the blue's staked out half of the tank. The blue was initially slightly bigger than the gold, but they were both small. Over a couple of months, but grew fairly good sized. I knew I wanted to add some pearls, but I had similar concerns as I had also read and heard that pearls are much more passive. I selected three pearls total: a male slightly smaller than the blue, and two females slightly larger. Interestingly, the first thing that happened was the blue mostly ignored the pearls unless they crossed over into his territory during feeding time. But the gold, who was about half their size, instantly took to chasing them all over the tank. It was funny in a way--almost like she said "I'm sick of being picked on, so now it's somebody else's turn!" Anyhow, after a couple of weeks when the pearls settled in, this stopped. I think the size difference helped. I pretty much had gourami equilibrium. Then suddenly, I found the gold dead, wedged in between the back glass and a flower pot. I don't think anyone killed her--she was stuck back there and couldn't get out. I don't know if she was chased or if she was going after some food or what, but I just could not find her for a couple of days, and then discovered her back there after I noticed my loaches constantly trying to get back there to get at whatever was back there. Anyhow, I think her death was unrelated, but I wanted to mention the whole tank dynamic with her in there. Shortly after that, one of the females died also. The whole batch of pearls was fairly new at the lfs when I bought them, so it may have just been a bad or stressed fish that looked healthy and didn't make it. But I'm also not ruling out the possibility that the other pearls two killed her. They have not tried to spawn, but otherwise act like a pair. So there may have been some aggression. Not ruling it out. Anyway, the blue tries getting a little cocky at times with the pearls, but it is not an issue. Because of the tank size, the female pearl will just swim out of the blue's territory, and that ends that. The male pearl won't have any of it, and frequently chases the blue whenever the blue tries being silly. So, long, rambling story, but there you have it. My tank balance is fine now, but I probably would not add anymore gouramis. Multiple female opalines might be okay if no male is present. But with a male, I am afraid it would bring out aggression. Similarly, I do not want to add anymore pearls in case either my pair kills them, or in case it might otherwise bring out more aggression on the part of the male pearl. I seem to have a very good balance now for the size tank I have.

Back
Top Bottom