Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Rey
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6
bullying angelfish

I have a problem, well I recently put in two mature silver angelfish into my 125 gallon tank they started breeding right away but I then added two albino young angelfish. One is very small and the other grew almost to a half dollar size while the other stayed about a quarter size and the two silver angelfish were bullying the younger albinos so I put the silver angelfish in a 40 gallon where they are now the only angelfish again. But I would like to add them back to the 125 gallon or do you think the same thing will happen again? should I get more angelfish so there will be less fighting? Are the albinos much weaker of a angelfish should I keep them isolated from the other two big silver angelfish?
__________________

__________________
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
maxima423's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: fresh meadows, new york
Posts: 1,406
Send a message via MSN to maxima423
they are aggressive because they are breeding, just defending their territory, my suggestion is to put the breeding angelfish into a 55g and let your younger ones enjoy the 120g since they are not breeding
__________________

__________________
live for the moment, cause you will never know if you will have a future...
maxima423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rich311k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 12,189
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
As long as they are a breeding pair they will not appreciate the company of other angels. Let them have their own tank.
__________________
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mudraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,652
Agreed.
__________________
mudraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,342
In my opinion Angels are territorial all the time. When breeding, however, they are very aggressive in defending more than usual.

Maybe this is just the Angels I have had, but I certainly will never consider them good tankmates for anything else (including other Angels) because of my experiences.
__________________
Tim Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mudraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,652
People forget Angels are cichlids. Some are more aggresive than others, but they are bullys at best and downright dangerous to mellower fish.
__________________
mudraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
WendiDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Posts: 1,713
I know that Angelfish are Cichlids and aggressive especially while breeding. I have another tank with Mbunas.
But my Angels are still pretty small. One is about the size of a quarter, another one is about the size of a 50 cent piece, one is about 3 inches and the bully is only a bit bigger than a silver dollar and none are breeding.
I don't know which if any are male or female, yet. But one Angelfish is a terror. He's already killed one Angelfish and harassed another one (the biggest) so bad that it broke out with ick. So I put the bully in a tank by himself and treated the main tank for ick which cleared up in a miraculous 2 days and the bully never got ick at all.
What do I do about the bully? It tries to kill everyone else in the tank. This is my first Angel tank and I want them to be as compatible with each other as possible. Or I'll end up with sick or dead fish on a regular basis. Is there some way to decrease the aggression or should I return the bully to the FS and try a new one?
__________________
WendiDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ejaramillo01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South California
Posts: 2,288
Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendiDell
I know that Angelfish are Cichlids and aggressive especially while breeding. I have another tank with Mbunas.
But my Angels are still pretty small. One is about the size of a quarter, another one is about the size of a 50 cent piece, one is about 3 inches and the bully is only a bit bigger than a silver dollar and none are breeding.
I don't know which if any are male or female, yet. But one Angelfish is a terror. He's already killed one Angelfish and harassed another one (the biggest) so bad that it broke out with ick. So I put the bully in a tank by himself and treated the main tank for ick which cleared up in a miraculous 2 days and the bully never got ick at all.
What do I do about the bully? It tries to kill everyone else in the tank. This is my first Angel tank and I want them to be as compatible with each other as possible. Or I'll end up with sick or dead fish on a regular basis. Is there some way to decrease the aggression or should I return the bully to the FS and try a new one?
That is my recommendation (Returned to the lfs), looks like this one is really temperamental and will be hard to keep him with the others.
__________________
=================================
Edgar
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-103339.html
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
WendiDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01 View Post
That is my recommendation (Returned to the lfs), looks like this one is really temperamental and will be hard to keep him with the others.
That's what I thought. I guess I just needed to hear from someone else that he would always be trouble.
Fortunately the FS where I buy all my fish is really good about taking their fish back when it doesn't work out.
__________________
WendiDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ejaramillo01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South California
Posts: 2,288
Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendiDell

That's what I thought. I guess I just needed to hear from someone else that he would always be trouble.
Fortunately the FS where I buy all my fish is really good about taking their fish back when it doesn't work out.
Same here, I experienced the same with a beautiful flame gourami, I tried everything, hiding spots, more decorations, changing tank mates, but after three fish killed by the gourami, I realized that was the time to returned to the store, which I did against my will.
__________________
=================================
Edgar
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-103339.html
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
WendiDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01 View Post
Same here, I experienced the same with a beautiful flame gourami, I tried everything, hiding spots, more decorations, changing tank mates, but after three fish killed by the gourami, I realized that was the time to returned to the store, which I did against my will.
I know, I hate to give up and admitting I can't fix something. Plus, even though these fish are reeking havoc you still care for them.
__________________
WendiDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Rey
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 6
thanks for all the help. I put the mating pair in a 40 gallon breeder tank with glass cats, now I'm worried about the glass cats
I'll propably move the glass cats to the 125 since it has more plants and wood for hiding spaces. only thing is there is tetras in the 40 gallon that are exhibiting neon tetra disease (which is contagious to angelfish)but I seperated the sickly ones to a hospital tank before I moved angels in there.
__________________
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mudraker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
so bad that it broke out with ick. So I put the bully in a tank by himself and treated the main tank for ick which cleared up in a miraculous 2 days and the bully never got ick at all.
Ich is not caused by stress like many believe. It is a parasite that will infect all the fish, whether they show symtoms or not. This is because the parasite can hide in the gills where you can't see it.

How did you treat the tank for ich and for how long?

It usually takes much longer to rid the parasite from the tank than it says on many of the so-called ich remedies.
__________________

__________________
mudraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
angel, angelfish, bully, bullying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bullying between catfish tracey Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 08-05-2006 04:02 AM
Bullying Fish scubasteve Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 2 02-26-2006 09:58 PM
Bullying issues Puriti Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 07-17-2005 11:34 AM
Bullying kristin27 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 06-30-2005 11:50 AM
Bullying! hertsboy Cichlid Discussion 7 12-31-2003 08:43 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×