Bump on Weather Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SomeRandomGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While I was feeding my fish I noticed it had some large bump on the side of my Weather Loach.20171127_183909.jpg20171127_183753.jpg

I think another one is forming on the other side too. It's acting normal and it isn't doing anything out of the ordinary but I'm scared that it might be a tumor or something. It wasn't there yesterday, though I don't know about this morning because I didn't get a good look at it at the time.

The top photo looks to highlight a "blister" just under the skin. I've never had a fish exhibit that type of lesion. You indicated that the lump was a rapidly occurring issue. Might be "Gas Bubble Disease". I've only read about this disorder but remember one of the symptoms is bubble like bulges near the head and gills. The cause is an over saturation of common aquarium gases.
I've never kept a Weather loach before, but he looks a little fragile. Maybe that species of loach is more suseptical to that type of condition.
I don't think Gas Bubble disease is fatal and no medication is needed. I believe increased water surface agitation, as to aid in the exchange of gases, is the only treatment.

I'm a little embarrassed, but I was totally unfamiliar with this Loach and its physical traits. I did a little research and found that there are a few different varieties of the weather loach.
I found several pics of this particular type, which had similar blister type bulges just behind the head. If a second lump is forming symetrictly on the other side of the fish it's likely a normal trait.

I'm a little embarrassed, but I was totally unfamiliar with this Loach and its physical traits. I did a little research and found that there are a few different varieties of the weather loach.
I found several pics of this particular type, which had similar blister type bulges just behind the head. If a second lump is forming symetrictly on the other side of the fish it's likely a normal trait.
They're Albino Weather Loaches. I have two of them in my tank and both of them are the same size. The other one doesn't have them those strange blister things.

Back
Top Bottom